- Install and configure your Zen Cart shop
- Manage, import, and export products in bulk
- Configure zones, currencies, payment processors, and shipping modules
- Use discounts, salemaker, cross-sell and up-sell to promote products
- Use gift certificates, discount coupons, and newsletters to attract customers
- Localize your shop by translating and adding new language and locales
- Create or customize templates for your shop
Chapter 1 is a brief introduction to Zen Cart and its functionalities.
Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 deal with how to get everything you need up and running on a development machine and also briefly look at how all the requisite technologies gel together to produce a working Zen Cart site. Chapter 2 will help you with downloading and installing Zen Cart on your machine and Chapter 3 in configuring the store.
Chapter 4 will help you make the shop more attractive with the help of already available templates as well as by customizing templates.
Chapter 5 will discuss important configuration options for localizing Zen Cart defining countries and zones, zones for taxes, tax classes, tax rates, and assigning tax rates to specific zones. We also discuss adding, editing and updating currencies in a Zen Cart shop that uses multiple currencies and creating, and editing languages for Zen Cart shop and translating language files to another language.
In Chapter 6 we discuss several promotion and public-relations tools available for Zen Cart shop and use of these tools effectively and in a planned way to enhance the sales dramatically.
Chapter 7 discusses migrating from osCommerce to Zen Cart. The chapter covers points to be considered before migration, a brief discussion of differences between osCommerce and Zen Cart database structure, and finally actual data migration from osCommerce to Zen Cart, converting osCommerce modules for Zen Cart, and common problems during migration.
In Chapter 8, we discuss integration of Zen Cart with other Content Management Systems. In detail, it covers the necessity of integration, characteristics of successful integration, and ways to integrate CMS along with the ways to integrate Zen Cart with other CMS like WordPress, Gallery2, e107, and phpBB.
Once we have set up, configured, and customized our online shop, to take it to live production, we need to carry out some routine maintenance tasks to keep it running.
In Chapter 9, we discuss common maintenance and troubleshooting activities for a Zen Cart online shop.
The Appendix gives details of resources for Zen Cart.
Zen Cart is a popular open-source PHP/MySQL-based e-commerce solution available under GPL that is designed to put the merchants' and shoppers' requirements first. Not only does Zen Cart offer a very long list of features, but the system is designed with both store owners and web developers in mind. There's no sacrifice of usability or power.
This easy-to-follow book will teach you how to install, configure, and customize a Zen Cart shop and use its promotion and public-relations tools to attract customers to the shop. It will also teach you to customize the look and feel of the Zen Cart shop by localizing and customizing templates. With this excellent tutorial, you will be able to extend and tweak the Zen Cart store.
- Install, configure, and customize Zen Cart for your customers
- Enhance and modify Zen Cart
- Walk through the creation of a fully functional book store
- Learn advanced features of Zen Cart with practical examples
- Migrate products and customers from osCommerce to Zen Cart
- Integrate Zen Cart shop with other CMSs like e107, xoops, gallery2, WordPress, phpBB, etc.