- Set up and run your own blog network using the multi-user version of the most popular open source blogging platform
- Monetize your blog network and earn revenue from using simple banner advertisements to paid upgrades and revenue sharing models
- Give users a chance to interact with each other and build community spirit by integrating a forum with your site
- Hook your blog network up to other social networking sites such as Twitter
- Increase traffic to your site with tagging, trackbacks, pings, and RSS
- Add popular features such as gravatars, polls, photo galleries, friends lists, and more
- Secure your blog network, and protect it from spam with reCAPTCHA and Bad Behaviour
- Implement backup and performance optimization techniques that will ensure that your blog network will be capable of handling large numbers of visitors
WordPress MU enables you to build a complete, professional blog network. Each user gets their own blog, and can choose their favorite templates and plug-ins, and develop their own content. WordPress MU powers some of the largest blog networks in the world, including the mighty WordPress.com – home to thousands of bloggers.
This book will take you through the setup of a WordPress MU-powered blogging network, using a real, working blog network as an example, so that you can follow the creation process step-by-step. Your blogging network will be complete with professional features such as friends lists, status feeds, groups, forums, photo galleries, and more, to build your own WordPress.com – a place where users can quickly come and create a blog for themselves.
The book starts with a clean install of WordPress MU, and as you work through the book, you will build the blog network, and add on more and more features, all seamlessly integrated to achieve a professional, custom-built look.
You will find new themes and plug-ins added to the site, as well as customization of the WordPress multi-user code. The book will also look at ways you can manage your community, and keep your site safe and secure, ensuring that it is a spam-free, enjoyable community for your users. In the later chapters, you will add a forum using the bbPress script, and add BuddyPress social networking components to your site.
Imagine how good you'll feel when your first WordPress multi-user blog network launches.
- Design, develop, secure, and optimize a blog network with a single installation of WordPress
- Add unlimited users and blogs, and give different permissions on different blogs
- Add social networking features to your blogs using BuddyPress
- Create a bbPress forum for your users to communicate with each other
- Part of Packt's Beginner's Guide Series, with step-by-step, detailed instructions for building a blog network from scratch