- Leverage Django's strengths to build powerful applications quickly
- Employ Django Models and Views to create a product catalog
- Build a flexible categorization system to organize products
- Create XML templates for selling products through the Google Checkout API
- Employ advanced Django techniques like class-based and generic views, pluggable resources, and reusable applications
- Simplify the development process using community projects like django-registration and django-profiles
- Create fully-featured search engines to index and categorize a product catalog
- Create integrations with leading web services and technologies like JSON, Salesforce, Amazon Aggregated Payments, and jQuery
- Explore advanced Django and Python design concepts like class-based generic views and pluggable backends
- Utilize Django's storage backend to support content storage on Amazon S3
- Sell digital goods and media using Amazon's FPS micropayments service
Django is a high-level Python web framework that was developed by a fast-moving online-news operation to meet the stringent twin challenges of newsroom deadlines and the needs of web developers. It provides an excellent basis to build e-commerce websites because it can be deployed fast and it responds quickly to changes due to its ability to handle content problems. Django with its proven strengths is all you need to build powerful e-commerce applications with a competitive edge.
This book explores how the Django web framework and its related technologies can power the next leap forward for e-commerce and business on the Web. It shows you how to build real-world applications using this rapid and powerful development tool.
The book will enable you to build a high quality e-commerce site quickly and start making money. It starts with the ambitious task of using Django to build a functional e-commerce store in less than 30 minutes, and then proceeds to enhance this design through the rest of the book. The book covers the basics of an e-commerce platform like product catalogs, shopping carts, and payment processing. By the end of the book, you will be able to enhance the application by adding a fully-functional search engine, generating PDF-based reports, adding interactivity to the user-interface, selling digital goods with micropayments, and managing deployment and maintenance tasks.