- Make key decisions about architecture and the tools to use
- Build a solid 'community framework' to give your site a strong foundation; the principles explored this framework will apply to any large-scale web application
- Create user accounts, set up a permissions system, and handle password encryption
- Work with user profiles, and establish 'friend' relationships between different users
- Allow users customize their profile and communicate with one another
- Work with photos, forums and start tagging, commenting, voting etc.
- Understand core concepts of Entity framework and work with it in a layered environment
- Understand core concepts of MEF and see how it helps build pluggable components
- Moderate the site, ensuring safety, dealing with cross-site scripting (XSS), privacy, and decency
- Utilize the Model View Presenter pattern with ASP.NET 4.0 to enable creation of automated test cases
- Add an internal search engine using SQL Server and Lucene.NET
- Work with appropriate design patters to create a scalable long-lasting enterprise framework
Social Networking is all about developing connections or ties between friends and associates. While people have always networked with one another the Internet has allowed us to network with people all over the world easily. Any interest or cause can support its own social network, where fans and followers can meet, chat, and share their views. But building a social networking site from scratch involves some complex logic, and some serious coding.
This book shows how to build a scalable, enterprise-ready social network using ASP.NET. The book uses the latest features of ASP.NET 4.0 and .NET Framework 4.0 to provide a platform that is efficient, easy to maintain, and extensible. Whether you want to build your own social network, are developing a social site for a customer or employer, or just want a practical guide to developing complex ASP.NET applications, this book is ideal for you.
The book starts by planning the essential features of your social network, and then building a 'community framework' that will give your site a solid foundation and enable you to add all your social networking features. You can then go on to create user accounts, profile pages, messaging systems, 'friend' relationships between members, photo galleries, blogs, forums, groups, and more. Along the way you will see MEF, Entity Framework, LINQ, AJAX, C# 4.0, ASP.NET Routing,and other features of ASP.NET 4.0 put to practical and interesting uses. There is also integration with other technologies like Silverlight, Flash, XINHA WYSIWYG editor, reCaptcha, Lucene.NET and Cropper and you also look at custom implementation of authentication and profile features for the website.
This book will show you how to create a scalable, maintainable social network that can support hundreds of thousands of users, complete with multimedia features.
- Create a full-featured, enterprise-grade social network using ASP.NET 4.0
- Learn key new ASP.NET and .NET Framework concepts like Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF), Entity Framework 4.0, LINQ, AJAX, C# 4.0, ASP.NET Routing,n-tier architectures, and MVP in a practical, hands-on way.
- Build friends lists, messaging systems, user profiles, blogs, forums, groups, and more
- A practical guide full of step by step explanations, interesting examples, and practical advice