Scala Object-Oriented Programming
|Also available on:|
- Master object-oriented programming and design in Scala
- With the help of illustrations learn about plenty of “mini-projects” such as an audio editor, a social network site, an online bookstore, and so on
- Get to know best practices on matters such as class design, modularity, and automated testing
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 173 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : March 2014
ISBN : 1783281650
ISBN 13 : 9781783281657
Author(s) : Oliver Wong
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Web Development, Open Source
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn to write truly object-oriented code, without ever resorting to static methods
- Use mixin inheritance to transcend the restrictions typically associated with hierarchical inheritance
- Fully understand mixin, composition, and classical inheritance, and when to apply each to solve your domain problem
- Develop modular reusable code and swap between a MySQL and a NoSQL storage engine with just one line of code
- Use the Option monad to avoid NullPointerException
- Be a type-system guru: know the difference between “covariance” and “contravariance”, “bottom type” and “unit type”, and when to use each one
- Detect and prove the non-existence of large classes of bugs without even needing to run your program
- Learn how to manually detect and fix the bugs in your JVM application, and how you can automatically sidestep them in Scala
Scala smoothly integrates object-oriented and functional programming. It is designed to express common programming patterns in a concise, elegant, and typesafe way. Pattern matching over class hierarchies uniﬁes functional and object-oriented data access, which greatly simpliﬁes the processing of XML trees.
This book uses your existing Java knowledge as a springboard to accelerate into the advanced topic of object-oriented design using Scala. You will develop applications using OOP principles and methods. This book allows the reader to go from a competent Java programmer, dipping his or her toe into Scala, to a full-fledged productive Scala programmer ready to employ Scala in a real working environment.
The book starts with the mechanics of the Scala language such as the “object” and “trait” keywords as building blocks to show the types of patterns that a fluent Scala programmer would regularly employ, such as companion-classes and mixin inheritance. This will make you comfortable with intermediate topics and will help you to move on to the advanced global view of object-oriented design such as the Liskov Subtitution Principle, modular design and design-by-contract, and how it can be applied in Scala programming.
Scala Object-Oriented Programming will enhance your knowledge from what you already know by working with Java, and so it is the fastest way for a Java programmer to master the Scala language.
This book is a practical, tutorial-style guide to implementing and deploying apps in Scala.
Who this book is for
Scala Object-Oriented Programming is for experienced Java programmers and beginner/ intermediate Scala programmers who want to become productive in Scala. This book uses your existing Java knowledge to jump-start you into being productive in Scala right away, and gradually introduces more and more advanced techniques that Scala makes available to you.