Responsive Web Design – From Concept to Complete Site [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Learn how to create fluid styles that flow to fill a browser of any size
- Discover the best design and coding practices in HTML5 and CSS3 for flexible layouts
- Contains everything you need to know to create simple to complex responsive sites starting from a design mockup to implementing it as a finished product
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Thursday, September 26, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours and 04 minutes
ISBN : 1782165703
ISBN 13 : 9781782165705
Author(s) : Joshua Miller
Topics and Technologies : Video, Web Development, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with Responsive Web Design [12:22 minutes]
- Exploring Responsive Web Design (RWD)
- Understanding the Use of RWD
- Examples of Adaptive Layouts
- Device Breakpoints
- Pros/Cons of RWD
- Course Overview
- Building a Fluid Layout [5:41 minutes]
- Fluid Width Layouts
- Working with Percent Width Layouts
- Examples of Fluid Layouts
- Media Queries [10:56 minutes]
- Media Queries
- Media Query Code
- Testing a Simple Media Query
- Best Practices for Media Queries
- Testing Media Queries on Actual Mobile Devices
- Building Our First Responsive Page [4:12 minutes]
- Using RWD Demo Files
- Using Sample Files
- HTML5 Structure for Our Site [14:59 minutes]
- Overview of the HTML Structure for the Demo Site
- CSS Resets and HTML5
- HTML for Container, Header, and Navigation
- HTML for a four Column Content Area
- HTML for a two Column Footer
- CSS for Our Site [27:05 minutes]
- Using Demo CSS for our Site
- Writing the CSS for the Navigation Bar and Logo
- Building the CSS for Navigation and its Elements
- Tweaking the Navigation Using the Inspect Element
- Formatting the Header
- Styling the Columns
- Formatting Headings and Images in the Columns
- Formatting the Footer
- Tweaks and Fixes to the Body Layout
- Adding Media Queries to Our Fluid Layout [18:20 minutes]
- Planning for Media Queries
- Tablet Media Query for the Body
- Using Media Query for the Navigation Bar and Logo
- Using Media Query for the Navigation Bar and Logo for Devices Smaller Than the Tablet
- Using Media Query for Columns to Reorient Horizontally
- More on Column Queries and Footer
- Final Tweaks for Phone-Sized Devices
- Advanced Features/Considerations for the Future [31:17 minutes]
- Advanced Features/Considerations
- Dealing with Font Size EMs
- Using Percent-Based Fonts and Dealing with Problems with EMs and Percent
- Demo of EM and Percent-Based Font Sizes
- Solution to Issues with REMs
- Future Considerations: VM, VH, VMAX, and VMIN
- Current Solutions to Text Size Issues and Responsive Background Images
- Using Background Images, Adaptive Images, and Bandwidth
- Responsive Grids
- CSS Pre-processors
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Build a responsive site from start to finish, from mockup to HTML and CSS implementation
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of RWD compared to other web design techniques
- Learn to build a fluid layout starting from a digital mockup
- Create breakpoints in a layout and write the code to modify the layout of your site at each breakpoint
- Understand techniques to test and maintain your responsive code on different devices
- Format headers, footers, and column layouts in a way that will adapt to different browser sizes
- Target specific viewports to present an optimized view of your website for a given device
Who this video course is for
Have you been writing two websites – one for mobile and one for larger displays? If so, this course will show you how to make your website responsive, in order to be fluid enough to adapt to any and all the different devices available. Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS will prove helpful for jumping into this video series.
There’s never been a greater range of screen sizes of tablets, smartphones, and even televisions and associated web view user experiences to consider. Web pages being built to be responsive provide the best possible version of their content to match the viewing devices of not just today’s devices but tomorrow’s too. This course walks you through crafting responsive websites that provide an optimal viewing experience on any device using HTML5 and CSS3.
By following this structured video course, you will learn how to convert fix-width layouts to responsive layouts, contain a fluid layout with maximum or minimum properties, write syntax for a media query, select breakpoints, write HTML to embed all the saved elements into a page, and add CSS to your site ensuring that you have the skills to create your very own responsive website quickly and efficiently.
Responsive Web Design – From Concept to Complete Site starts with an overview of the technology, the best practices to follow, and then moves on to a complete implementation of a responsive site using HTML5 and CSS3 media queries. After learning the essentials of responsive web design in the introductory section, you will walk through splitting a mockup into images and content areas, defining a fluid grid using those divisions, creating a percentage-based layout for the fluid grid with CSS, and then begin creating a full-functional responsive page. The latter section contains hands-on exercises that will walk you through all the HTML5 and CSS3 code required to build your sample page.
This course ends with an overview on the future of web design, the features you can use today, and tips on how to remain current in the field.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
Responsive Web Design - from Concept to Complete Site will lead you, step by step, through the process of making your website responsive and appear at its best, no matter the device it is viewed on.