Instant Play Framework Starter [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Get started with Play 2.1
- Build your own web application with Java and Scala
- Handle user input with forms and access data with Ebean, Anorm, and Slick
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 70 pages
Release Date : May 2013
ISBN : 1782162909
ISBN 13 : 9781782162902
Author(s) : Daniel Dietrich
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Web Development, Web Development, Web Development, Open Source, Web Development
Table of ContentsInstant Play Framework Starter
- Instant Play Framework Starter
- So, what is Play?
- Step 1 – What do I need?
- Step 2 – Downloading Play
- Step 3 – Setting the PATH environment variable
- Step 4 – Testing the Play installation
- And that's it!
- Quick start – Creating your first Play application
- Step 1 – Creating a new Play application
- Structure of a Play application
- Step 2 – Using the Play console
- Starting our application
- Play console commands
- Closing the console
- Step 3 – Modifying our application
- Fast turnaround – change your code and hit reload!
- Stripped down and optimized stack traces
- Step 4 – Setting up your preferred IDE
- IntelliJ IDEA
- Other IDEs
- Top features you need to know about
- 1 – Designing a Play application
- Introducing our sample application
- Defining the domain model
- Designing the HTTP interface with the routes file
- Handling HTTP requests by controller actions
- Composing the UI from view templates
- Implementing the phone book views
- 2 – Dealing with user input
- Defining a form
- Validating user input
- Using form template helpers
- 3 – Connecting to a database
- Accessing data with Ebean for Java
- Accessing data with Anorm for Scala
- Accessing data with Slick for Scala
- People and places you should get to know
- Official sites
- Articles and tutorials
- About Packt Publishing
- Writing for Packt
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- How to set up Play
- Using the Play console
- Master the view templates
- Design an HTTP interface
- Bind data to HTML forms
- Validate user input
- Implement data access layers in Java with Ebean
- Insert data access layers in Scala with Anorm or Slick
Play is a full-featured Java and Scala web framework for building modern, high-performance web applications. It is characterized by its simplicity and scalability. With its lightweight, stateless, and web-friendly architecture, Play focuses on developer experience to make web application development fun.
Instant Play Framework Starter is the ideal companion to start developing web applications with Play. The building blocks of a typical web application are carefully designed following an on-going example.
Instant Play Framework Starter starts with a quick setup and running a first sample. Then, the anatomy of a typical Play application is outlined. More features are added step by step to an example application. The result is the prototype of a highly scalable web application.The example is implemented in Java and in Scala. It consists of building blocks you will find in every Play application. In particular, you will learn how views are rendered with the template engine, how HTTP routes are used to define the navigation rules, and how to separate the application logic of controllers from the business logic of the model. This separation is the result of a careful application design, which makes it easy to add features like data binding and validation. Finally you will see how easy it is to adapt different database access libraries.
Instant Play Framework Starter will help you to get started with Play and develop your first application. Packed with examples, it is easy to follow the design of a real-world application. You are able to compare the difference between a Java- and a Scala-based Play application and to decide which language fits your needs best. All topics covered in the book are described with the aim to serve as a reference for future web application development with Play.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks.A practical, quick, and hands-on guide to the Play Framework.
Who this book is for
This book is written for readers interested in developing web applications with Java or Scala. A basic knowledge of either Java or Scala is helpful. Prior experience with Play is not required.