Play! Framework for Web Application Development [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Learn by example how to create a WebApp and re-utilize code with Play! 2
- Discover quick and productive ways to implement your ideas
- Create your own APIs and make your site beautiful with Bootstrap
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Friday, June 28, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours 07 minutes
ISBN : 1782165487
ISBN 13 : 9781782165484
Author(s) : Martin Gontovnikas
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Video, Web Development, e-Learning, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Play! [13:17 minutes]
- Current Problem: How Do We Build WebApps Now?
- What Is Play!?
- Play! in the Real World
- My First Web App [28:50 minutes]
- Creating a Play! Project
- Creating the Models
- Creating the Controllers
- Using Forms
- Making Templates
- Let's Run the App
- Let’s do some Testing [20:48 minutes]
- Let's Test Our Models
- Are the Templates Working?
- Let's Check the Controllers
- Is It Routing?
- Let's Test This End to End
- Let’s Improve the App [14:33 minutes]
- Validating the Model
- Creating Nested Actions
- Securing Our App
- Let’s Make the App Cooler [21:53 minutes]
- Let's Create a Custom 404 Page
- Let's Internationalize the App
- I Want to Use Twitter Bootstrap
- Let's Deploy This
- I Love Modules [10:42 minutes]
- What Is a Module?
- Creating a Module
- Using the Module
- Hey, What About APIs? [17:18 minutes]
- Consuming JSON
- Serving JSON
- Using External WebServices
- Using AsyncResult
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Create reliable Java web applications
- Develop your own modules so that you can re-use code with the DRY principle
- Deploy your application for free and share it with the world
- Put the fun back into Java application development by using the Play! Framework
- Test every aspect of your applications using the Play! Framework’s powerful testing functionality
- Use Bootstrap to create attractive UIs for your Java applications
- Create powerful APIs for your application
- Consume Twitter’s API to add social networking data to your application
Who this video course is for
This video course is for Java programmers who want to develop applications in a simple and straightforward manner. All you need to start this course is basic Java knowledge and the desire to create powerful web applications using the Play! Framework.
Java programming with Spring, Spring MVC, JSP, Tiles, and Hibernate, among others, has become very tedious. It requires developers to write hundreds of lines of code configuration. The Play! Framework provides a solution for this by removing the boilerplate, making application development more productive and time efficient.
In "Play! Framework for Web Application Development" you will learn how to use Play! 2 to create robust web applications. You will create an agenda application and make it better by adding functionality with each progressing tutorial. By the end of this course, you’ll have the confidence to create awesome applications with the Play! Framework.
If you have always wanted to learn how to create great Java web applications then this course is for you. This friendly, hands-on course will show you how to overcome the inherent complexity in writing Java web applications by leveraging the Play! Framework.
The course starts by showing you how to create a basic agenda application. You’ll then add validations, internationalization, and custom error pages before enhancing it using the popular frontend framework, Twitter Bootstrap. Additionally you’ll learn how to create modules to re-utilize code for future projects. You’ll finish the course by adding a JSON API to your application so that it can consume Twitter’s API using async requests.
By the end of Play! Framework for Web Application Development you will be a more confident developer able to create attractive, fast, and scalable applications using the Play! Framework.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
Created with simplicity in mind, this practical, hands-on course teaches using a sample web application example throughout.