Liferay Portal Enterprise Intranets
|Also available on:|
- Install, set up, and use a corporate intranet with Liferayâ€”a complete guide
- Discussions, document management, collaboration, blogs, and more
- Clear, step-by-step instructions, practical examples, and straightforward explanation
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 408 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : April 2008
ISBN : 1847192726
ISBN 13 : 9781847192721
Author(s) : Jonas X. Yuan
Topics and Technologies : All Books, CMS and eCommerce, Content Management (CMS), Java, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introducing Liferay for Your Intranet
Chapter 2: Set-up The Home PageAnd Navigation Structure for The Intranet
Chapter 3: Bringing In Users
Chapter 4: Discussion Forums And Tags
Chapter 5: Wikis, Web Form And Polls
Chapter 6: Internal Bloggings And RSS
Chapter 7: Shared Calendars, WSRP And Workflow
Chapter 8: Content Management and Publishing
Chapter 9: Chat and Instant Messaging
Chapter 10: Help Desk/Customer Support
Chapter 11: Roll Out To Other Teams
Chapter 12: Search
Chapter 13: Ongoing Admin Tasks
The book is targeted to Liferay beginners and “Do-It-Yourselfers” who want to develop a simple but powerful corporate intranet. Hence, I can recommend this book to anyone who want’s to learn how to use Liferay and it’s built in portlets. It might also be good reference to administrators on how to do basic tasks in Liferay.
Overall, the “Liferay, Portal Enterprise Intranets” book is a great practical guide for Liferay administrators, specially those that are just getting started. You can find useful howtos to configure and customize the base portal and the well designed book structure makes it easy to locate specific sections and topics.
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 2 submitted: last submission 11 Nov 2013
Errata type: Technical | Page number: 33
In the 'Add Pages' topic, the second point in the second bullet should say 'Books' as the page name instead of 'Home'.
Errata type: Technical | Page number: 45
should really be
What you will learn from this book
- Installing and configuring Liferay Portal
- Setting up the navigation structure for the intranet
- Managing users, groups, and roles
- Enabling staff to communicate using discussion forums
- Marking content for easy retrieval using tags
- Creating Wikis, Web Forms, and Polls
- Managing Blogs and RSS
- Deploying calendar portlet, WSRP, and Workflow portlet
- Content management and publishing
- Configuring instant messaging server, mail server, mail portlet, and SMS text messenger portlet
- Providing help-desk assistance and customer support information on the website
- Administering communities; using community tools; setting up virtual hosting, staging, and publishing for communities.
- Plugin management
- Handling federated search and OpenSearch and deploying search-based portlets
- Managing Admin portlet and Enterprise Admin portlet
- Integrating with Alfresco, LDAP, and SSO
- Applying SSO authentication for both portal and portlets
Liferay Portal is the world's leading open-source portal platform built on Java and Web 2.0 technologies. Corporations use it to provide a unified web interface to data and tools scattered across many sources.
Liferay Portal uses the latest in Java, J2EE, and Web 2.0 technologies to deliver solutions for enterprises across both public and private sectors. Liferay Portal's flexibility allows it to be deployed in a number of different scenarios to meet key business needs. Some of the key business benefits are:
- A rich, friendly, intuitive, and collaborative end-user experience
- A single point of access to all information
- High adaptability to the demands of fast changing markets
- Highest value
- Lowest costs
This book is a complete guide to building an intranet with Liferay (version 4.4)—assess your needs, install the software, start using it, deploy portlets, customize it per your requirements, and train users. The book focuses on leveraging the Liferay framework by configuring the XML files, without changing the underlying Java code. Each chapter gives practical guidance on how to install, use, and customize Liferay. There are many step-by-step examples for better understanding.
Learn, with the help of practical examples, how to implement a complete corporate intranet using the features of Liferay.
This book is a practical guide with a very user-friendly approach. The author has taken a virtual enterprise as an example and has used the features of Liferay to build a corporate intranet for that enterprise.
Who this book is for
This book is for System Administrators or experienced users (not necessarily programmers) who want to install and use Liferay in their teams or businesses without dealing with complex code. Pre-knowledge of Liferay is not expected for this book.