GameMaker Game Programming with GML
|Also available on:|
- Write and utilize scripts to help organize and speed up your game production workflow
- Display important user interface components such as score, health, and lives
- Play sound effects and music, and create particle effects to add some spice to your projects
- Learn how to script common game features: artificial intelligence, collision, reading input, and player feedback
- Build your own example match-three puzzle and platform games
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 378 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : April 2014
ISBN : 1783559446
ISBN 13 : 9781783559442
Author(s) : Matthew DeLucas
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Game Development
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Create script resources as well as custom scripts for events
- Understand importing, compressing, and playing sound effects and background music
- Build particle effect systems to give games a little extra pop
- Track and display user interface elements such as health and scoring
- Program and interact with simple-yet-challenging artificial intelligence
- Collide cleanly with a world environment
- Read player input from a variety of sources
- Manipulate multiple viewports
- Utilize alarms to create a clean series of events
- Understand formatting and syntax for clean and readable GML scripts
- Establish a finite state machine to track a character's current state
- Complete simple-yet-fun games from start to finish
GameMaker Studio is a popular game engine that can be used to publish games to a variety of platforms. Alhough GameMaker Studio's drag-and-drop functionality makes creating games simple and fast, utilizing scripts can really help organize and speed up GameMaker's work flow exponentially.
This hands-on guide will help you build a strong foundation for programming in GameMaker Language. It will take you through several example games to learn new topics, as well as improving your understanding of the topics that have been already discussed so they can be carried over to help build a variety of new and exciting games.
This book examines GameMaker Language's formatting and uses, then utilizes it through several examples. You will start by learning the basics and then strengthen these lessons by building a variety of game features.
This practical guide will teach you to create a variety of important features found in almost all games, such as reading player input, creating feedback through particle and sound effects, keeping score, and collision. These will be covered over the production of two game examples, a match-three puzzle game and a platform game (known as a platformer), but the idea and concepts can be crossed over to an endless variety of games.
GameMaker Game Programming with GML is the perfect place to start if you want to unlock the power of writing your own scripts in GameMaker Studio.
A step-by-step approach to build your knowledge, starting from a simple "hello world" to discovering arrays, classes, and so on. Each learning point is explained in a practical way, carrying out tasks within the GameMaker development environment.
Who this book is for
If you are a GameMaker Studio developer who has little experience with writing scripts and want to expand that skill set, this is the book for you. It is assumed that you can already navigate GameMaker Studio to some degree. This book will primarily focus on scripting and the integration of scripts to aid in the production of a game and not actual game design. It is highly recommended that you have access to (or the ability to) create visual and audio assets for the examples presented.