Getting started with Apache Solr Search Server [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Teaches you everything you need to know to get started with Apache Solr such as indexing, querying, configuration, and implementation
- Learn how to define a search architecture specific to your business needs
- Includes walk-throughs on the Solr admin interface.
- Contains a practical tutorial for integrating Solr search into a new system with an open-source web application
- Presented in a hands-on, interactive style from a professional with several years of experience in search and natural language processing.
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Tuesday, June 4, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours and 30 mins
ISBN : 1782160841
ISBN 13 : 9781782160847
Author(s) : Robert Elwell
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Big Data and Business Intelligence, Video, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with Solr [17:18 mins]
- Goals of the Course
- Solr and How It Works
- Solr's Relative Strengths
- Installing Solr
- Administration and Configuration [27:33 mins]
- Learning about the Solr Admin
- Learning about the Schema File
- The Config File
- Navigating the Schema Browser
- Solr Statistics and Information
- Manipulating the Index [11:43 mins]
- The Update Handler
- Deleting and Updating Data
- Configuring the Data Import Handler
- Querying The Index – The Basics [19:23 mins]
- Querying the Index – Basic Query Syntax
- The Anatomy of a Response
- Additional Query Parameters
- The Dismax Query Parser
- Understanding the Document Schema [26:08 mins]
- Understanding Field Type Definitions
- Analyzers and Filters
- Understanding a Document Schema
- Altering the Schema
- Configuring Solr [25:12 mins]
- Understanding the Config File
- Understanding Request Handlers
- Default Request Handlers
- Adding a Handler
- Solr in Practice – a Use Case [22:32 mins]
- Solr In Practice – a Use Case
- Solr In Practice – Determining a Schema from Business Requirements
- Solr In Practice – Faceting
- Solr In Practice – MoreLikeThis
- Advanced Concepts [23:04 mins]
- Advanced Solr – Grouping
- Advanced Solr – Text Highlighting
- Advanced Solr – Spelling Suggest
- Advanced Solr – MoreLikeThis Tips and Tricks
Associated code downloads are included in the zip file of the purchased video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Configure your Solr instance for your business needs
- Index data from either a database import or XML file
- Query data using both Lucene query syntax as well as the Dismax family of parsers
- Integrate Solr into a system using an easy-to-follow, easy-to-implement web application in Django
- Use spell suggest to make your search robust
- Use the MoreLikeThis request handler to deliver similar documents to an interested user
- Formulate schema by considering each aspect of the data already in a database, and then craft a field for
Who this video course is for
This course is intended for a mid- to senior-level engineer or a technology decision-maker evaluating the strengths of Apache Solr for implementation in their own ecosystem. The course expects some experience working with web APIs, and a degree of end-to-end LAMP stack experience.
Solr is the popular, blazing fast open source enterprise search platform from the Apache Lucene project. Solr is highly scalable, providing distributed search and index replication, and it powers the search and navigation features of many of the world's largest internet sites. This course will impart to you the level of understanding required to properly configure, implement, and maintain Apache Solr for an enterprise-level application.
Getting started with Apache Solr Search Server shows you how to implement the world’s leading open-source search solution with advice from an expert in the field. You will discover Solr’s many hidden features via interactive learning and configure your own Solr instance according to your business needs. This course can be followed along at home with an open-source web application you can download and run. Make search interactive and proactive with faceting, match highlighting, spell-checking, and result grouping.
Getting started with Apache Solr Search Server uses a combination of walk throughs and interactive exercises to impart end-to-end understanding of Solr’s role in a web application’s ecosystem.
You will first learn how to install Solr on your machine, configure it according to the data structures you need to search over, and integrate it into your application. This video course shows the viewer how to use, activate, and configure Solr’s many features. To keep the course interactive, an open-source example is included with detail on how to integrate Solr into an application, ranging from simple querying to advanced grouping and faceting.
Enterprise Search for Apache Solr empowers you to become your organization’s search guru with expertise in search.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
The course comes along with a tutorial for integrating Solr search into a new system with an open-source web app that can be downloaded from GitHub and run on your own machine. It will show you how to implement a Solr-based search engine effectively on your intranet or website. This course is suitable for Developers looking to enhance their applications with Apache Solr.