- Overview of JasperReports, and what it can do for you
- Adding reporting capabilities to your application
- Creating and formatting reports
- Report layout and design
- Working with database datasources
- Working with other types of datasource such as arrays, collections, TableModels and XML
- Creating subreports
- Adding charts and graphics to a report
- Working with the iReport report designer
- Exporting reports to PDF, Excel spreadsheet or Word document format
- Integrating JasperReports with other Java frameworks like Spring, Java Server Faces, Struts, and Hibernate
JasperReports is the world's most popular embeddable Java open source reporting library, providing Java developers with the power to easily create rich print and web reports. This book shows you exactly how to get started, and develop the skills to get the most from JasperReports.
The book steers you through each point of report setup, to creating, designing, formatting, and exporting reports with data from a wide range of datasources, and integrating JasperReports with other Java frameworks.
Starting with the basics of adding reporting capabilities to your application, and creating report templates you will first see how to produce your reports through the use of JRXML files, custom ANT targets, and then see preview them in both the browser and the native browser of JasperReports.
Getting data into your reports is the next step, and you will see how to get data from a range of datasources, not only databases, but XML files, and Java Objects, among others.
You will create better looking reports with formatting and grouping, as well as adding graphical elements to the report. You will export your reports to a range of different formats, including PDF and XML.
Creating reports will be made even easier with a walkthrough of the iReport Designer visual designing tool. To round things off, you will see how to integrate your reports with other Java frameworks, using Spring or Hibernate to get data for the report, and Java Server Faces or Struts for presenting the report.
- Get started with JasperReports, and develop the skills to get the most from it
- Create, design, format, and export reports
- Generate report data from a wide range of datasources
- Integrate Jasper Reports with Spring, Hibernate, Java Server Faces, or Struts