- Get started and master NAV business management solutions concepts
- Create tables to define your NAV data structure, review the types of tables found in the out-of-the-box NAV application and understand how to use these in new enhancements
- Explore all NAV data types and learn how they help develop financially oriented business applications
- Define filters to apply defined limits on data in any business process
- Meet several data presentation tools and create pages to input data and output information for users
- Create reports – using the Report Designer tools – which are intuitive to work with and easier to distribute
- Dive into C/SIDE and C/AL – essential navigation, object construction, numbering, basic syntax, naming rules, SIFT technology, string operators and functions, numeric operators and functions, logical and relational operators and functions, and the whole range of input/output functions
- Debug your NAV applications using the Debuggers and associated tools and techniques
- Integrate data and business logic from NAV 2009 with other applications
Microsoft Dynamics NAV is a well established Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) application, part of the Microsoft Dynamics family. Dynamics NAV is installed worldwide, with well over one million users. Version 2009 contains many major new features and structures, requiring even experienced Dynamics NAV developers to refresh their NAV development knowledge.
Renowned for its challenging learning curve, Dynamics NAV is a complex piece of software with a unique design structure. For developers learning to modify or enhance Dynamics NAV for vital business purposes, the task can sometimes be intimidating.
This book is an in-depth step-by-step guide to programming NAV, designed to ease you through the complexities of NAV application development. You will learn the skills and develop the confidence to tackle your own critical NAV applications. This book will act as your experienced NAV programming mentor, helping you to become productive as a NAV developer much more quickly.
NAV development is quite complex, with a steep learning curve. This book makes it easy for you. From basic NAV terminology and concept definitions, through the essential building blocks of NAV data structure and objects, you will gain an understanding of the fundamental underlying concepts of NAV. You will learn practical details about NAV object construction and the tools available, including table, page, and report design. You will learn how to use NAV's tools to effectively navigate through the various features of objects, including properties, triggers, and C/AL code, and receive practical guidance on ways to develop and test in the unique NAV C/SIDE development environment.
Extensive guidance on software design for NAV is provided along with tips for efficient design of new NAV applications or enhancing existing applications. With its comprehensive collection of NAV information and distillation of years of NAV development experience, this book is not only designed to help you learn, but to act as a reference as well.