- Understand important concepts of APEX such as Session State, Substitution Strings, the Shortcuts mechanism, and more
- Create the APEX application building blocks, like pages, items, processes, data validation, shared components, and others, and use them to implement the User Interface and the application (business) logic
- Generate APEX Forms and modify them to your needs using the APEX wizards
- Build, display, and validate a Tabular Form, manually as well as using a wizard
- Create and modify Interactive Reports
- Understand the AJAX concepts, such as XMLHttpRequest, communication, and data format, in order to enhance users' experience, and to optimize application performance
- Secure your applications using Authentication Schemes, Authorization Schemes, Session State Protection, and Security Attributes
- Build localized and/or multi-lingual applications using the APEX Globalization support, including the APEX built-in translation mechanism
- Convert Microsoft Access and Oracle Forms applications to APEX applications
- Explore APEX SQL Workshop via its modules such as Object Browser, SQL Commands, SQL Scripts, and Query Builder, and learn how to use them to build the database infrastructure and support for your application
- Implement AJAX in APEX with the help of detailed working examples
With this practical guide to APEX, you'll learn how to easily develop data-centric web applications for the Oracle environment. The book covers the development cycle of an APEX application, reviewing the major APEX principles and building blocks chapter by chapter. It starts with the basic skills you need to get going when developing with APEX. Later, you will learn advanced issues, such as how to build tailor-made forms and reports, using APEX APIs, AJAX, and so on. It not only deals with the "How" but also with the "Why", and before long you will be able to understand APEX concepts, and use them to expand and enhance the built-in features, wizards, and tools.
The book starts with the design phase, including building the necessary database objects infrastructure; continues with ways to implement the application logic (on the server side) and the User Interface (on the client side), whilst showing you how to enhance your applications' features and functionality according to your specific needs; and it ends with application deployment.
The book emphasizes and clearly documents areas such as Globalization, Localization, and developing multi-lingual applications, and includes a special discussion about Right-To-Left (RTL) support for APEX applications, documented here for the first time.
Throughout the book, there are many screenshots and snippets of code, taken from working APEX applications. The book is accompanied by demo APEX applications that you can download and install in your APEX environment, thoroughly analyze, and learn from as you read the book.
- Grasp the principles behind APEX to develop efficient and optimized data-centric native web applications, for the Oracle environment
- Gain a better understanding of the major principles and building blocks of APEX, like the IDE and its modules
- Learn to Globalize APEX applications, including Right-To-Left support
- This book covers APEX version 3.2, but the information is broadly applicable to all 3.x