3D Printing with RepRap Cookbook
|Also available on:|
- Master the most difficult printing techniques
- Create models with easy solutions for 3D printing
- Know how to choose the best slicer for the right job
- Easy-to-use recipes for optimizing 3D models for 3D printing and printing process
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 360 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : July 2014
ISBN : 1782169881
ISBN 13 : 9781782169888
Author(s) : Richard Salinas
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Cookbooks, Open Source
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Use the 123D Catch program to 3D scan common objects of almost any size for 3D printing
- Manipulate the surface mesh of a 3D model using Meshmixer v.9001, the 3D modeling program
- Clean up your scans and stitch them together to make a solid model using MeshLab v1.3.2
- Calibrate 3D models using SketchUp v.13, a 3D CAD program for precision fabrication
- Manipulate meshes for optimization and effect
- Determine the best hardware for different printing situations
- Master the controls of the two most popular slicers, Skeinforge and Slic3r
- Learn how to add textures to your models and avoid undesirable texture through calibration
- Create exotic, complex forms quickly using TopMod3D v.2
Do-it-yourself 3D printing is a new and exciting technology that gives you the power to make extraordinary things that were previously impossible. 3D printing provides great savings on assembly costs as it offers the capability of printing already assembled products. In addition to this, 3D printing lets companies and organizations to try new ideas and design iterations without investing much time or tooling expense. Indeed, this makes learning about creating and printing 3D models essential in order to cope with growing industry requirements and standards.
This book is a concise guide to creating 3D models and for mastering the skills of 3D printing through a series of easy- to-follow recipes. It covers the detailed process of 3D printing using RepRap machines along with some fundamental 3D printing techniques such as 3D scanning, parametric modeling, and digital fabrication. It provides an opportunity to explore a RepRap machine known as Prusa Mendel, from the user's perspective to get a better understanding of when to use it and how to use it through working examples.
This book starts with 3D scanning of some simple everyday objects with an ordinary digital camera. It illustrates the ways in which these models can be improved by using free or open source software and techniques which in turn can be applied during the printing process.
You will also learn how to make models from scratch using easy 3D modeling programs and at the same time, learn how a 3D model is constructed through different kinds of surface meshes. By learning how to manipulate these meshes, you will be able to optimize your models for the 3D printing process. In the process, you will 3D print different types of models that will pose their own unique challenges. You will learn how to optimize your 3D printing skills to meet these challenges by learning how to control the slicer and apply some mechanical tricks along the way.
This book will help you master the complexities of 3D printing. It will provide you with a handy, visual reference, and at the same time, will help you demystify some of the common questions about software, mechanics, and technique.
A systematic guide consisting of over 100 recipes which focus on helping you understand the process of 3D printing using RepRap machines. The book aims at providing professionals with a series of working recipes to help make their fuzzy notions into real, saleable projects/objects using 3D printing technology.
Who this book is for
This book is for novice designers and artists who own a RepRap-based 3D printer, have fundamental knowledge of its working, and who desire to gain better mastery of the printing process. For the more experienced user, it will provide a handy visual resource, with side-by-side comparisons of the two most popular slicers, Skeinforge and Slic3r.
A basic understanding of designing and modeling principles and elementary knowledge of digital modeling would be a plus.