WordPress 3 Site Blueprints
|Also available on:|
- Everything you need to build a varied collection of feature-rich customized WordPress websites for yourself
- Transform a static website into a dynamic WordPress blog
- In-depth coverage of several WordPress themes and plugins
- Packed with screenshots and step-by-step instructions to help you complete each site
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 300 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : August 2010
ISBN : 1847199364
ISBN 13 : 9781847199362
Author(s) : Heather R. Wallace
Topics and Technologies : All Books, CMS and eCommerce, Content Management (CMS), Open Source, WordPress
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Project 1: Migrating a Static Website to WordPress
Chapter 2: Project 2: Building a Community Portal
Chapter 3: Project 3: Building an E-Commerce Website
Chapter 4: Project 4: Building a Local Classified Ads Website
Chapter 5: Project 5: Building a Consumer Review Website
Chapter 6: Project 6: Building a Job Board Website
Chapter 7: Project 7: Building a Microblogging Website
Chapter 8: Project 8: Building a Local Business Directory
Chapter 9: Project 9: Building a Membership Website
Appendix A: Plugins Suited to Several Projects
Appendix B: Installing Themes and Plugins
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 1 submitted: last submission 07 Nov 2012
the code under paragraph 2
Incorrect: <?php the_content('Continue Reading...'; ?>
The function the_content() Requires a closing ')'
Correct: <?php the_content('Continue Reading...'); ?>
has the same problem as on page 24. 2nd code block from the bottom of the page.
the code under the 2nd paragraph
Incorrect: <?php previous_post_link('« % link', '%title'); ?>
Remove the space between '%' and 'link' for the previous_post_link()
Correct: <?php previous_post_link('« %link', '%title'); ?>
What you will learn from this book
- Easily transform a static website into a fully-functional WordPress blog
- Create a community portal where members can interact and share content
- Build an e-commerce website where you will be able to sell a wide variety of products online
- Set up a local classified ads website where users can register and then submit listings
- Design a consumer review website where visitors may post their views and opinions about products and/or services
- Create your own microblogging site that is either publicly or privately viewable
- Build a standalone or an integrated job board site where companies can post listings that may be viewed by job seekers
- Set up a local business directory where potential clients can browse member profiles submitted by businesses in their area
- Design a membership site where you can sell subscriptions of various types
- Use WordPress as a CMS and convert an HTML template into a dynamic WordPress theme
- Edit WordPress theme files and hack plugins so that both are customized to your needs
Sure, WordPress can be used for blogging, but this powerful software is capable of so much more. With the right combination of plugins, themes, customizations, and configurations WordPress can be transformed into a community portal, an e-commerce site, and much more. While it is easy to get started with WordPress, its full power is not obvious. There is very little that WordPress can't do—if you can image it, then it's probably possible with WordPress. If you want to create a powerful, fully-featured blog or non-blog website in no time, this book is for you.
While some books merely talk about the capabilities of WordPress in general and leave you to figure out how they apply to your situation, WordPress 3 Site Blueprints takes a different approach. The first chapter will show you how to migrate from an existing static website to a WordPress blog. Each of the other chapters is devoted to the construction of a different type of site that can be created with WordPress and the right combination of themes and/or plugins. As you follow along, you will learn by doing because each of these nine chapters shows you how to build a WordPress-powered site from start to finish. That means that, by the time you reach the end of every chapter, you will have a fully-functional site online.
Each chapter provides easy-to-understand, step-by-step instructions along with screenshots to help you follow along easily. In addition, detailed information is provided to help you optimally configure each and every plugin and theme mentioned in this book so that you can get the most out of each of these sites. By the time you reach the end of each blueprint, you will have a fully functional site online that is ready for use as is or that you may customize further if you so desire.
A comprehensive, step-by-step guide on building several WordPress-powered websites that are anything but ordinary
Follow along as we work together to build a variety of sites—all using WordPress. While this book is not designed for beginners, those with even an intermediate knowledge of WordPress will be able to get these sites up and running in no time. Also, since each chapter is devoted to the design of a different site, there is no need to read the book in any particular order. Instead, you can pick and choose the blueprints that are of most interest to you and dive right in.
Who this book is for
If you are a self-learner or a WordPress consultant who, instead of being content with using WordPress out-of-the-box, is interested in exploring all that this open source software has to offer, then this book is for you. The clear instructions provided in each chapter will guide you through the process of creating a varied collection of WordPress sites for either yourself or a client.
While some experience with WordPress is required to get the most from this book, if you can install themes and plugins, you should be able to follow these easy-to-understand WordPress blueprints. Some knowledge of CSS and HTML will be beneficial, but experience with PHP is not required.