Instant Windows Powershell 3.0 Windows Management Instrumentation Starter [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Create CIM sessions to local and remote systems
- Execute WMI queries using Windows Remote Management
- Learn industry standard scripts to interact with workstation and server systems
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 66 pages
Release Date : March 2013
ISBN : 1849689628
ISBN 13 : 9781849689625
Author(s) : Brenton J.W. Blawat
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Enterprise, Microsoft
Table of ContentsInstant Windows PowerShell 3.0 Windows Management Instrumentation Starter
- Instant Windows PowerShell 3.0 Windows Management Instrumentation Starter
- So, what is PowerShell 3.0 WMI?
- WMI integration with PowerShell 3.0
- Using PowerShell in your environment
- Step 1 – prerequisite software - .NET Framework 4.0
- Step 2 – installing the Windows Management Framework 3.0
- Step 3 – preparing to use the new CIM cmdlets
- Quick configuration
- Manual configuration of system
- And that's it! But how do I know it's installed?
- Method 1 – Get-Host cmdlet
- Method 2 – looking at version table
- Method 3 – the Host Version property
- Quick start – PowerShell 3.0 WMI basics
- Using the basic CIM cmdlets
- Creating, verifying, and terminating new sessions
- Top features you'll want to know about
- New CIM instance and class cmdlets
- Get-CimClass cmdlets
- New-CimInstance cmdlets
- Set-CimInstance cmdlet
- Remove-CimInstance cmdlets
- Get-CimAssociatedInstance cmdlet
- Invoke-CimMethod cmdlet
- Scenario 1 – using WMI in software deployment
- Checking the operating system version
- Checking disk space
- Checking the hardware model number
- Checking for running processes
- Checking for running services
- Viewing the installed software
- Checking file version numbers
- Scenario 2 – dynamically provisioning the systems
- Sequencing the scripts after a restart
- Renaming the computer with a random name and a prefix
- Waiting for service states
- Setting the computer description
- Scenario 3 – system maintenance
- Looking up the BIOS information
- Looking at disk fragmentation
- System uptime
- Reading error logs
- Putting it all together
- People and places you should get to know
- Official sites
- Articles and tutorials
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn the background of Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
- Integrate WMI with PowerShell 3.0 with the use of CIM Cmdlets
- Install Windows Management Framework 3.0
- Create, verify, and terminate new remote management sessions
- View the associated classes to an instance
- Invoke a method for remote code execution
- Explore a software deployment scenario leveraging PowerShell and WMI
- Discover common systems maintenance activities that can be performed with PowerShell and WMI
PowerShell and Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) provide you with the ability to remotely manage systems. Whether it is viewing available disk space, or starting an executable remotely, PowerShell 3.0 WMI provides limitless options for scripting the management of systems.
"Instant Windows Powershell 3.0 Windows Management Instrumentation Starter" follows industry standard scripting techniques, utilizing new powerful Cmdlets, to manage different aspects of an operating system and provides practical examples for managing your systems.
You will learn how to create, verify, and terminate new Cmdlets that were introduced with PowerShell 3.0 and apply this new knowledge to real world management scenarios. It will provide detailed information about the structure of WMI, and the best ways to get, set, and execute items on a system, both locally and remotely.
You will also learn how to create, verify, and terminate new CIM sessions using the available Cmdlets. You will also learn how to search CIM classes for available properties and methods, create a new instance of a class, get an existing instance of an existing class, get an associated instance of a class, and remove an instance of a class. Finally, you will learn how to remotely execute code on a system using WMI.
Instant Windows Powershell 3.0 Windows Management Instrumentation Starter will provide you with the ability to fully utilize Windows Management Instrumentation through the use of a variety of new Cmdlets introduced with PowerShell 3.0.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. If you're a keen administrator who wishes to learn more about Windows Management Instrumentation and the use of Cmdlets, then this book is the perfect Starter guide for experienced professionals. This book combines an easy-to-learn approach with practical examples using the powerful Powershell 3.0 in Windows.
Who this book is for
This book is great for system administrators who would like to learn how to remotely manage systems utilizing PowerShell 3.0. It is assumed that you already have experience with previous versions of PowerShell but the book will provide easy-to-learn, practical examples of how to use the new features included in PowerShell 3.0.