Windows Phone 7.5: Building Location-aware Applications
|Also available on:|
- Understand Location Based Services.
- Work with Windows Phone Location Service.
- Understand how Maps work.
- Create a simple Map application and learn to use Geocoding, Pushpins.
- Discover Directions with Bing Maps Directions.
- Build two real-world windows phone applications – using Eventful.com and AOL Patch.com API
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 148 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : July 2012
ISBN : 1849687242
ISBN 13 : 9781849687249
Author(s) : Zeeshan Chawdhary
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Enterprise
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: The Location-based World
Chapter 2: Using Location in Windows Phone 7.5
Chapter 3: Using Maps in your Windows Phone App
Chapter 4: Events App - PacktEvents
Chapter 5: Location-aware News App – PacktNews
- Chapter 1: The Location-based World
- Understanding location-based services
- Buzzwords in the location-based industry
- Applications of LBS and common use cases
- How Microsoft uses LBS in Windows Phone 7.5
- Microsoft Location Service
- Behind location-based services – GPS
- User segment
- Space segment
- Control segment
- Push and pull methods of location services
- Push service
- Pull service
- Life without GPS: Wi-Fi based location detection
- Life without GPS: Cell-ID positioning and cell tower triangulation
- Life without GPS: Bing Maps API
- Understanding indoor and outdoor navigation
- Chapter 2: Using Location in Windows Phone 7.5
- Introduction to Windows Phone 7.5
- Live Tiles
- Panorama control
- Pivot control
- App Connect
- Tools for Windows Phone 7.5 developers
- Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone
- Microsoft Expression Blend 4 for Windows Phone
- Windows Phone Location Service
- Starting and using the Location Service
- Continuous monitoring of the Location Service
- Working with the Windows Phone location simulator
- Chapter 3: Using Maps in your Windows Phone App
- Understanding map geometry
- Overview of the Windows Phone Bing Maps Silverlight Control
- Using maps in your Windows Phone 7.5 app – Hello Maps
- Using pushpins with maps
- Custom map pushpins
- Using an image as the pushpin
- Using your own pushpin style
- Handling pushpin events
- Working with Bing Maps geocoding and reverse geocoding services
- Launchers and Choosers – An Overview
- Using directions with Bing Maps directions task
- Performing local searches with BingMapsTask
- Chapter 4: Events App - PacktEvents
- Exploring the Eventful.com API
- Extending the Hello Location example for showing nearby events
- Filtering events by categories
- Plotting events on Bing Maps
- Building the PacktEvents app using Panorama control
- Chapter 5: Location-aware News App – PacktNews
- Understanding the Patch News API
- Finding stories by location
- Finding locations by name
- Consuming the Patch News API – HelloNews
- Building the PacktNews app using the Silverlight for Windows Phone 7.5 Pivot control
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Understand all about Location Based Services and know how they are used in the Windows Phone ecosystem.
- Work with Location Services and location simulation for Windows Phone.
- Get to grips with Maps - Behind the scenes: How maps work.
- Understand and work with Bing Maps and the Bing Maps Silverlight control.
- Work with Launchers & Choosers for Windows Phone.
- Explore BingMapsTask for Local Search and BingMapsDirections for Directions.
- Understand Eventful.com API and build an Events App for Windows Phone.
- Work with AOL Patch.com API and build an App using the same.
Windows Phone 7.5 has met with some great initial reviews from all mobile critics. It is poised to be the ‘3rd’ eco-system for mobile, joining Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android platform. With Microsoft and Nokia working on multiple devices based on Windows Phone, the platform is a no-brainer enterprise success. Microsoft Office, Email, Skype and a fresh new mobile operating system has been a great champion of a cause for both Microsoft and Nokia.
"Windows Phone 7.5: Building Location-aware Applications" will teach you to divein to the new Windows Phone Experience. No more 600 page bibles - just the right mix of text and lots of code to get you started!
"Windows Phone 7.5: Building Location-aware Applications" covers location based services and maps, and focuses on methods of location detection and maps. Powered with this information, two real-world applications are covered. In short, this is a concise book on building location aware apps for Windows Phone.
This is a practical, hands-on tutorial based on real-world applications, using real-world 3rd Party APIs, teaching the essential tricks to get started in building location aware apps for Windows Phone. With plenty of images and code wherever necessary, this book will take you just a few days to get up to speed, no long weekend classes, no bible to read, a few chapters and you are off.
Who this book is for
If you are a developer who wants to develop apps for the Windows Phone 7 platform, but do not know where to begin, then this book is for you. Developers working on the Android and iPhone platform wishing to port their apps on the Windows Phone ecosystem will also find this book useful. The bundled code and apps can also help a non-developer; a smart business or sales person to quickly analyze and build new applications.
This book is also aimed at Managers and Architects in the News and Entertainment industry; since two giants of this industry (Eventful.com and Patch.com) are mentioned extensively within the book.