Instant VMware vCloud Starter [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Deploy and operate a VMware vCloud in your own demo kit
- Understand the basics about the cloud in general and why there is such a hype
- Build and use templates to quickly deploy complete environments
- Define and use vCloud internal networks to isolate environments
- Easy to follow instructions, explanations, and practical tips
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 76 pages
Release Date : February 2013
ISBN : 1849689962
ISBN 13 : 9781849689960
Author(s) : Daniel Langenhan
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Enterprise
Table of ContentsInstant VMware vCloud Starter
- Instant VMware vCloud Starter
- So, what is VMware vCloud?
- What is a cloud?
- VMware Cloud
- Step 1 – what do I need?
- Making a decision – appliance or full install
- A database
- A Red Hat VM
- A vSphere environment
- Some network considerations
- VMware vCloud Client
- Step 2 – downloading vCloud Director
- Getting a trial license for vSuit
- Getting the software and keys
- Step 3 – getting vCloud Networking and Security ready
- Deploying a .ova template with vCenter
- Deploying a .ova template in VMware Workstation
- Register with vSphere Lookup Service and vCenter
- Licence vShield
- Step 4 – vCloud Director Appliance deployment
- Deploying vCloud Director Appliance
- Step 5 – vCloud Director installation
- Creating a Red Hat VM
- Copying the .bin file to the vCD VM
- Executing the .bin file
- Creating SSL certificates
- Running the configuration script
- Step 6 – setting up the vCloud Director Setup wizard
- Accessing the web client
- Running the setup wizard
- Open for business
- And that's it!
- Quick start – creating your first VM
- Step 1 – understanding vCloud resources
- Step 2 – connecting vCenter to vCD
- Step 3 – creating a PvDC
- Storage profiles
- Step 4 – creating an Org
- System Org
- Step 5 – creating an OvDC
- Linked clones
- Step 6 – creating a vApp
- Go and explore
- Top 2 features you'll want to know about
- Catalog, media, and templates
- Creating a catalog
- vApp template
- Network pools
- Creating a network isolated pool
- Assigning a network pool to an OvDC
- vApp networks
- Organization networks (Org Nets)
- External networks
- What else is there to explore?
- People and places you should get to know
- Official Sites
- Articles and Tutorials
- The community
- About Packt Publishing
- Writing for Packt
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Understand what the cloud is
- Install vCloud Director and vCloud Director Appliance
- Connect your existing vSphere infrastructure to vCloud Director
- Create organizations and virtual datacenters
- Create and use vApp templates
- Use vApp networks to isolate environments
- Use org networks to connect environments, and enable Firewall and NAT
- Get information on how to find additional help and support
- Hands on, real life, configuration of vCloud environments
The cloud is the next step forward in IT technology and most Enterprises are already following suit. The cloud enables self-service via a web interface, reducing the management overhead and has amazing possibilities for production and development environments.
Knowing about the cloud will open up new possibilities for anyone interested in IT.
Everyone is talking about the cloud, so join in the discussion by learning how to create your own demo environment. See how the cloud can be used to reduce VM deployment time and create isolated and fenced environments inside your cloud.
With "Instant VMware vCloud Starter" we look at the cloud in general, the vCloud Director installation and configuration, as well as template and networking configuration using step-by-step instructions and explanations taking you from theory to practical knowledge.
You will be able to create templates and reuse them to rapidly deploy a complete environment. The other main topic we will be exploring is vCloud Networking, enabling you to configure complex network solutions, from multi-tiered application networks to full isolated development environments.
You will learn everything you need to know about the vCloud to start exploring the vCloud by yourself. This book is a first step into a bigger world.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. This book is written in an easy-to-read style, with a strong emphasis on real-world, practical examples. Step-by-step explanations are provided for performing important tasks.
Who this book is for
If you are a Cloud engineer or administrator looking forward to working with vCloud, then this is the best guide to get you started with it.