Instant Varnish Cache How-to [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Connect and health-check application servers with Varnish Cache
- Load balance requests across clustered servers
- Define caching policies and request/response workflow
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 56 pages
Release Date : January 2013
ISBN : 178216040X
ISBN 13 : 9781782160403
Author(s) : Roberto Moutinho
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Other, Open Source, Web Development
Table of ContentsPreface
Instant Varnish Cache How-to
- Instant Varnish Cache How-to
- Installing Varnish Cache (Must know)
- Varnish Cache server daemon options (Must know)
- Connecting to backend servers (Should know)
- Load balance requests (Should know)
- The Varnish Configuration Language (Should know)
- Handling HTTP request vcl_recv (Should know)
- Handling HTTP request vcl_hash (Should know)
- Handling HTTP request vcl_pipe and vcl_pass (Should know)
- Handling HTTP response vcl_fetch (Should know)
- Handling HTTP response vcl_deliver (Should know)
- Handling HTTP response vcl_error (Should know)
- Caching static content (Should know)
- Cookies, sessions, and authorization (Become an expert)
- HTTP cache headers (Should know)
- Invalidating cached content (Should know)
- Compressing the response (Become an expert)
- Monitoring the hit ratio (Become an expert)
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Install and configure Varnish Cache
- Connect application servers to Varnish Cache
- Load balance requests
- Request and response workflow inside the Varnish
- Caching and compressing static content
- Session and cookie handling
- Invalidating stale content
When you're doing business on the Web, every second counts. 80 percent of the end user response time is spent on downloading content to the browser, and Varnish Cache is here to help you solve this problem in a simple and effective way.
"Varnish Cache How-to" is a practical, hands-on guide that will take you from beginner to advanced, improving your website speed and dropping the bounce and page abandonment rates of your website. With easy-to-follow recipes, this book will help you take advantage of caching your application server’s response to avoid a duplicated workload.
This book will take you from the installation of the Varnish Cache server to defining caching policies, the normalization of static content, and a final production-ready fast and scalable cache server.
You will learn to balance requests across servers based on input data or pre-defined settings, create persisted sessions (sticky sessions), compress static content, and modify requests. If you want to improve the speed and also provide a fail-over mechanism to achieve a fast and available website, then this book is for you.
By the end of this book, you’ll learn how to scale and improve the user‘s experience by providing a fast and available website.
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. Get the job done and learn as you go. Easy-to-follow, step-by-step recipes which will get you started with Varnish Cache. Practical examples will help you to get set up quickly and easily.
Who this book is for
This book is aimed at system administrators and web developers who need to scale websites without tossing money on a large and costly infrastructure. It’s assumed that you have some knowledge of the HTTP protocol, how browsers and server communicate with each other, and basic Linux systems.