Unreal Development Kit Game Programming with UnrealScript [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Step-by-step guide on how to set up the UDK and create a game with UnrealScript
- Explore core UnrealScript features and configurations
- Ideal for newcomers to UnrealScript
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Friday, August 30, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours 23 minutes
ISBN : 1849696322
ISBN 13 : 9781849696326
Author(s) : Alan Thorn
Topics and Technologies : Video, Games
Table of Contents
- Getting Started [23:37 minutes]
- Course Introduction
- Exploring the UDK Installation Folder
- Exploring UncodeX
- Configure Notepad++ for UnrealScript
- Compiling UnrealScript Source Code
- Compiling UnrealScript Source Code Using the FrontEnd
- Understanding the Class Tree & Making Custom Classes [18:47 minutes]
- Getting Started at UnrealScript Game Development
- The GameInfo Class
- GameInfo Basics
- Compiling GameInfo
- Testing GameInfo
- Appendix to Compiling
- Beginning a Power-Up Actor Class [18:01 minutes]
- Getting started with Actors
- Integrating Actors into the Actor Classes Tab
- Actors and Components
- Using Editor Properties
- Using the Content Browser to Help Code
- Refining the Power-Up Actor Class [15:48 minutes]
- Rotations in UnrealScript
- Testing the Rotation Code in the UDK Editor
- Collision Detection
- Using Class States
- Testing Class States
- Creating Game Logic with GameInfo [17:41 minutes]
- Starting to Code the Main Game Logic
- Refining Game Logic with GameInfo
- Tips and Tricks
- Inter-object Communication
- Testing the Game So Far
- Refining the Game with Exec Functions [14:53 minutes]
- Unreal Console
- Exploring Console Commands on the UDN
- Create New Console Commands
- Testing New Console Commands
- Review your Progress
- Customizing Kismet [17:40 minutes]
- Configuring the Level with Kismet and Matinee
- Customize Kismet with UnrealScript
- Testing the Kismet Node
- Activating Kismet Nodes
- Testing Kismet Functionality in the UDK Editor
- Moving Forward with Config Files [17:00 minutes]
- Config Files
- Customize GameInfo with Config Files
- Using the Config Keyword
- Using Config Files to Customize Game Settings
- Completing the Game
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Understand the UDK files and folders for working with UnrealScript
- Configure an IDE and the UDK Compiler to write and compile code and make debugging easier with custom console commands
- Grasp the basics of UnrealScript workflow for making games and use the UnrealScript class hierarchy to build new features
- Learn how to create states for working with timed behavior
- Make customizable classes with Config files that integrate with the UDK Editor
- Create feature-filled actors for your levels
- Build custom Kismet nodes to control the logic of your game
Who this video course is for
This course is intended for newcomers to UnrealScript. If you’re already using the UDK Editor and are familiar with programming basics, then this course will help you move up to the next level, orienting you with the UnrealScript language.
Over eight feature-filled chapters, Alan Thorn demystifies video game development by showing you how to get up and running with UnrealScript so you can make your own games. This course takes you from the foundations upwards: from configuring the necessary software and editors to compiling your code and creating a complete and working game.
This course is a comprehensive introduction to UnrealScript presented by Alan Thorn, veteran game developer and author with over 12 years of industry experience. Taking a step-by-step approach, you’ll move from the basics of configuring the UDK and its files to coding a feature-filled game complete with timed behavior and editor integration.
Clear and concise, this course takes you from start to finish through the creation of a practical game in UnrealScript, demonstrating the core features of the language along the way. It starts by exploring how to configure UDK files and software and ends with a working game featuring time-limits, editor integration, component-based actors, and custom Kismet nodes.
Overall, you’ll see how to build a game from the ground up. Along the way, you’ll explore core UnrealScript features such as console commands for improving debugging, class states for dynamically changing actor behavior, custom Kismet nodes to control program flow visually, the ability to tweak class settings through text-based configuration files, and much more besides.
By the end of this course, you’ll have coded a feature-filled game in UnrealScript and the UDK. In achieving this, you’ll establish a solid foundation in UnrealScript that you can utilize when building your own games.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
Taking a step-by-step approach, you’ll learn how to set up your development environment, discuss some core features of the UnrealScript programming language, and build a feature-filled game level in incremental stages.