Unity Character Animation with Mecanim: RAW
|Also available on:|
- Create and export models and animation sequences to Unity from 3ds Max, Maya and Blender
- Prepare character models and animation for games using Mecanim’s rigging tools
- Retarget, adjust, and mix and match motion capture and other animation data
- Write and edit scripts compatible with Mecanim Animation Controllers
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 260 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : September 2014
ISBN : 1849696365
ISBN 13 : 9781849696364
Author(s) : Jamie Dean
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Game Development, RAW books
|1||The Zombie Attacks!
||IN THE BOOK|
|2||Rigging Characters for Unity in 3ds max and Maya||IN THE BOOK|
|3||Interacting with the Environment||IN THE BOOK|
|4||Working with Motion Capture Data||IN THE BOOK|
||IN THE BOOK|
||IN THE BOOK|
|7||Controlling Player Animation with Blend Trees||IN THE BOOK|
|8||Ragdoll Physics||IN THE BOOK|
|9||Controlling Enemy Animations with AI and Triggers||IN THE BOOK|
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn how to prepare a rigged character model to receive animation within Unity
- Acquire efficient techniques to refine and optimize motion capture data
- Retarget animation sequences between different character rigs
- Discover how to rig a humanoid character and export for use in Unity
- Script character interaction for a First Person character model
- Create dynamic animation sequences from scratch using keyframe techniques, in a variety of 3D software packages
- Learn Project Management in Unity
- Understand how to set up a complex facial rig for speech
- Set up Animation Controllers with masked states and blend trees to create seamless and additive animation transitions
- Construct a ragdoll game object and instantiate it in a game
- Devise Mecanim animation integration for the player and AI driven animation for enemy characters
Game animation for independent developers has taken a giant leap forward with Unity's Mecanim toolset, which streamlines the import/export, retargeting, and many other aspects of the character animation workflow. Mecanim is a boon for animators new to Unity and Game Development in general, as well as developing 3D artists ready to bring their own characters to life in a realtime environment.
"Unity Character Animation with Mecanim" is a great primer for getting to know the nuts and bolts of Mecanim and other character animation related tools in Unity. It offers you step-by-step instructions for preparing and exporting rigged models and animation sequences from commonly used 3D packages, such as Maya, 3ds Max and Blender.
This book explores the new set of animation tools introduced with Mecanim in Unity, to replace the older animation component based system in Unity which relied heavily on scripting to determine animation sequencing. Approaching its subject matter through a typical genre–a zombie action game, character animation techniques are explored using real examples of player input and interaction, enemy behavior, and other aspects of game dynamics. As the book progresses, the reader will understand how these elements fit together in a small game development workflow.
After this, we will look at Ragdoll physics and the implementation of this commonly used technique in a Mecanim workflow. The book culminates with a thorough dissection of the enemy character AI script incorporating the Mecanim elements detailed in the previous chapters.
"Unity Character Animation with Mecanim" will provide you with a detailed exploration of the interaction between game development and character animation, and will broaden your understanding of the rich animation toolset within Unity.
This book is currently available as a RAW (Read As we Write) book. A RAW book is an ebook, and this one is priced at 20% off the usual eBook price. Once you purchase the RAW book, you can immediately download the content of the book so far, and when new chapters become available, you will be notified, and can download the new version of the book. When the book is published, you will receive the full, finished eBook.
If you like, you can preorder the print book at the same time as you purchase the RAW book at a significant discount.
Since a RAW book is an eBook, a RAW book is non returnable and non refundable.
Local taxes may apply to your eBook purchase.
A comprehensive guide, featuring step- by- step practical tutorials using sample assets, showing you how to build fully controllable characters and non-player characters/enemies.
Who this book is for
If you are a Unity developer looking to get to grips with the character animation specific tools, a 3D software user who is new to Unity, or a beginner game developer who is interested in character animation and interaction, this book is ideal for you. Some experience with either the Unity interface or basic 3D coordinates is recommended, but not required.