UDK Game Development [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Develop and customize your very own game quickly and easily in UDK
- Enhance the game environment by using Kismet and UnrealScript to create a compelling gameplay experience
- An engaging course with step-by- step instructions, making it ideal for newcomers to UDK
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Course Length : 3 hours and 37 mins
ISBN : 1849696187
ISBN 13 : 9781849696180
Author(s) : John P. Doran
Topics and Technologies : Video
Table of Contents
- 3D Platformer – Part 1: Setting the Scene [50:00 minutes]
- Course Overview
- UDK Installation
- Setting the Jump Height
- Build the Foundation
- Finishing a Room
- Extending the Area
- Beautify with Materials and Meshes
- 3D Platformer – Part 2: Creating Collectables [29:19 minutes]
- Building a Collectable
- Picking Up the Collectable
- Using Named Variables
- Creating Prefabs – Part 1
- 3D Platformer – Part 3: Implementing a Checkpoint System in Kismet [20:23 minutes]
- Setting Object Variables at Runtime
- Building the Checkpoint
- Implementing Checkpoint Behavior
- Creating Prefabs – Part 2
- 3D Platformer – Part 4: Level Streaming [14:54 minutes]
- Making a Persistent Level
- Setting Up Streaming Volumes
- Changing to Additional Levels
- UnrealScript Setup [29:16 minutes]
- Setting Up UnCodex
- Setting Up Our IDE
- Saying Hello with UnrealScript
- 3D Platformer – Part 5: UnrealScript Programming [38:35 minutes]
- Third-person Orbiting Camera – Part 1: GameType
- Implementing the Pawn
- Implementing the PlayerController
- Zoom In/Out with Cameras
- Completing the Project [29:16 minutes]
- Custom Loading Screen
- Main Menu
- Replace the Escape Menu
- Replace Splash Screens
- Create an Installer for Your Games
- Where to Go from Here [06:11 minutes]
- The Epic Game Community
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Modify game variables using console commands
- Create your first platform with a room, floor, and ceiling
- Develop an environment using Geometry Mode and beautify it with materials and static meshes
- Build a collectable and checkpoint system making use of Kismet and Prefabs
- Use level streaming to create a smooth gameplay experience with no loading
- Set up and use an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) and make programming an enjoyable experience
- Produce your own custom GameInfo, PlayerController, and Third Person camera
- Create custom assets to replace the default elements shown when you start your game with your own main menu, loading screen, and splash screens
Who this video course is for
If you have ever had the urge to know more about how all those amazing games you played for countless hours are created, then this video tutorial is definitely for you! This step-by-step tutorial will teach you how to create a complete game within UDK. Even if you have no prior experience of UDK, you can still start building the games you want today.
UDK (Unreal Development Kit) is the free version of the popular and award-winning Unreal Engine 3. A truly powerful tool for game development, there has never been a better time to use it for both commercial and independent game-building projects.
Starting with no prior knowledge of UDK, this course exposes you to the main features of UDK, UnrealScript, and Kismet while showing you how to build a third-person platformer game.
On this journey, you will first learn how to build a level and an area by making use of models and geometry. Following this, you will make full use of Kismet, the Unreal Engine’s visual scripting tool, to create collectibles and a simple checkpoint system. Once the basis of the game has been created, you’ll be ready to dive in to the world of UnrealScript by first setting up its working environment. Next, you will learn how to create custom gameplay behaviors and a camera system. Lastly, you’ll see how to customize your UDK game to replace the default settings with your own main menu, loading screen, and splash screens! By the end of this course, you'll have a solid foundation in building games which you can use in your own future projects.
Screenshots from the course
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
The course will explain everything that you need to know using a hands-on approach along with thorough explanations. This course will also give you the ability to take what you have learned and apply it to your own games in the future.