Instant SASS CSS How-to [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Learn how to download and install SASS and compile SASS code to validate CSS
- Learn how to use the various elements of SASS, such as mixins, variables, control directives, and functions to create valid CSS
- Use an external mixin library such as Compass with SASS to produce exciting effects and learn to create your own mixin library
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 80 pages
Release Date : February 2013
ISBN : 1782163786
ISBN 13 : 9781782163787
Author(s) : Alex Libby
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Open Source, Web Development
Table of ContentsPreface
Instant SASS CSS How-to
- Instant SASS CSS How-to
- Downloading and installing SASS (Must know)
- Adding support to text editors (Must know)
- Pre-compiling SASS (Must know)
- Viewing SASS in a browser (Become an expert)
- Using nested rules (Must know)
- Using comments in SASS (Should know)
- Getting interactive with Script (Become an expert)
- Using CSS-3 directives in SASS (Must know)
- Controlling output in SASS (Must know)
- Creating and using mixins (Must know)
- Building functions within SASS (Must know)
- Altering output style (Should know)
- Using a pre-built mixin library (Should know)
- Writing mixins – developing a style (Must know)
- Downloading and installing Compass (Should know)
- Creating sprites using Compass and SASS (Become an expert)
- Using vendor prefixes and Compass (Become an expert)
- Building a slider using Compass (Become an expert)
- Using SASS with Wordpress (Become an expert)
- Using Compass in WordPress (Become an expert)
- The different versions of SASS – an explanation
- A template for the book recipes
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 1 submitted: last submission 10 May 2013
The code for this book has been re-uploaded.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Installing and using SASS in your site
- Compiling SASS code to produce valid CSS that you can use in your site’s pages
- Using variables, functions, mixins, control, and CSS-3 directives and operators in your SASS code
- Viewing SASS code in your browser
- Employing external mixin libraries such as Compass to add extra functionality to SASS
- Using SASS and Compass within CMS environments such as Wordpress
- Creating, importing, or using existing pre-built mixin libraries in your projects
- Altering your CSS output style in SASS, depending on your requirements
Instant SASS CSS How-to is a practical, hands-on guide that provides you with a number of clear step-by-step exercises, which will help you take advantage of the power of SASS, and give you a good grounding in writing and compiling CSS style sheets using the SASS pre-processor language.
This book looks at how you can incorporate SASS into your web pages, and either produce style sheets dynamically, or pre-compile them before including the final article into your site’s pages.
You will also learn how you can use the power of mixins, functions, and variables to help produce style sheets, and reduce the amount of code you need to write in your style sheets. We will also take a look at how you can incorporate a more modular style to your development workflow, which will help with making style sheets more manageable and easier to update in the future. We will also take a look at how you can build up libraries of reusable code that you can incorporate into your future projects.
You will learn everything you need to know to start using SASS to help produce more efficient style sheets in your site’s pages, and adopt a more modular development workflow, which will make it easier to maintain your sites in the future.
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. Get the job done and learn as you go. This book is filled with practical, hands-on recipes to help you write SASS quickly and more efficiently.
Who this book is for
This book is great for those new to using CSS pre-processors such as SASS, and who are looking to get a good grounding in how to use SASS. It’s assumed you will have some experience in using HTML and CSS already; it is likely you will be responsible for maintaining at least one website (the larger the better), and are keen to learn how you can use SASS to help make it easier to manage your CSS styles. Although SASS is powered by Ruby, it is not essential to already be familiar with Ruby for the purposes of completing the recipes in this book.