Instant FreeMarker Starter [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Build realistic enterprise projects on your own
- Create your first template with FreeMarker
- Learn how to integrate with the Struts2 and Spring frameworks
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 64 pages
Release Date : April 2013
ISBN : 1782163824
ISBN 13 : 9781782163824
Author(s) : Charles Forsythe
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Web Development, Open Source
Table of ContentsInstant FreeMarker Starter
- Instant FreeMarker Starter
- So, what is FreeMarker?
- Installing FreeMarker
- Step 1 – what do I need?
- Step 2 – downloading FreeMarker
- And that's it
- Quick start – creating your first template
- Step 1 – setting up your development directory
- Step 2 – writing your first template
- Step 3 – writing the Java code
- Step 4 – moving beyond strings
- Step 5 – formatting different types
- Step 6 – where do we go from here?
- Quick start versus slow start
- Top 9 features you need to know about
- Sample output
- Creating a model
- Running the template against the model
- FreeMarker expressions
- Objects and hashes
- The default operator
- Directive for conditional content
- The #switch directive
- The #list directive
- Using directives strategically
- Putting together a movie list
- #include and #setting
- Error handling
- #attempt and #recover
- Testing your template
- Review of newsletter project
- Design rule #1 – don't repeat yourself
- Design rule #2 – don't do too much in one file
- Design rule #3 – using test-driven design (TDD)
- Design rule #4 – decide on your own rules and follow them
- MVC integration
- Using the FreeMarker servlet
- JSP integration features
- Setting up
- Using FreeMarker tags in a JSP
- Integrating JSP tags into FreeMarker
- Invoking the JSP integration from a servlet
- Spring MVC integration
- Spring Portlet MVC
- Struts 2 integration
- What now?
- People and places you should get to know
- Official sites
- About Packt Publishing
- Writing for Packt
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Load and process templates
- How expressions access a data model
- Create and use macros and functions
- Control the formatting of different data types
- Handle errors and missing data
- Loop over repeating content
- Control complexity by breaking templates into fragments and libraries
- Regulate output with logical operations and conditionals
- Use JUnit to test your templates
- Integrate with frameworks such as Struts2 and Spring
- Migrate from legacy JSP technology
Generating completed text documents by filling in blanks on a template is as old as printing, but this simple and straightforward approach to creating web pages and other computer-generated text using FreeMarker has only recently begun to gain popularity.
Instant FreeMarker Starter uses hands-on, real-world examples to show how to master its features, integrate with your web application framework, and effectively incorporate a template engine into your next enterprise project.
This guide gets you started quickly, showing you how you can begin using FreeMarker in less than a dozen lines of code. From there, it covers key features and shows you how FreeMarker integrates with popular MVC frameworks.
The core of the book walks you through the development of a program that generates a monthly newsletter from a complex data model. Along the way, you will learn strategies for organizing your FreeMarker logic in large enterprise projects. After covering the capabilities of FreeMarker, the book will show you how to integrate it with popular web application frameworks.
In short, the book will take your novice experience with FreeMarker to a level wherein you will create your own FreeMarker-based project.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks.A simple Starter approach introducing new concepts and terms through the hands-on building of templates for Java APIs.
Who this book is for
If you are a dynamic web developer or a Java-based apps developer new to FreeMarker, then this book will provide invaluable guidance to get your new project started on the right track. If you have started using FreeMarker and find it confusing or complicated, this book will be a guided tour that will show you how to conquer complexity and create a template-based view layer with an elegant architecture.
The book is also aimed at those who have elementary web development skills and basic Java programming knowledge. Readers should also have a conceptual understanding of the MVC model.