Source SDK Game Development Essentials
|Also available on:|
- Create maps and mods using the tools provided with Source SDK
- Learn how to use Hammer to create your own game worlds
- Create goal-driven A.I. sequences and scripts
- Master Source SDK tools with ease with step by step tutorials
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 294 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : February 2014
ISBN : 184969592X
ISBN 13 : 9781849695923
Author(s) : Brett Bernier
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Game Development, Other
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Getting Started with the Source SDK
Chapter 2: Grasping Hammer
Chapter 3: Shaping Your World
Chapter 4: Textures, Terrain, and Props
Chapter 5: Importing Custom Content
Chapter 6: Lighting and Compiling
Chapter 7: Triggers and the Input/Output System
Chapter 8: Trains and Camera Systems
Chapter 9: NPC Movement Basics
Chapter 10: Advanced NPC Scripting
Chapter 11: Source Particle Editor
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Sculpt the physical world with Hammer’s easy-to-use block and terrain tools
- Make visually engaging environments with props and textures
- Use lighting and color correction to create immersive atmospheres
- Import your custom content into the game
- Script special events using the powerful input/output system
- Control the non-playable characters to bring life to your world
- Manipulate the A.I. to choreograph assaults, battles, and squad movements
- Create an infinite amount of particle effects with the particle editor
The Source Authoring Tools are the pieces of software used to create custom content for games made with Valve’s Source engine. Creating mods and maps for your games without any programming knowledge can be time consuming. These tools allow you to create your own maps and levels without the need for any coding knowledge. All the tools that you need to start creating your own levels are built-in and ready to go!
This book will teach you how to use the Authoring Tools provided with Source games and will guide you in creating your first maps and mods (modifications) using Source. You will learn how to stay organized, map efficiently, and avoid the most common mapping mistakes.
This practical guide begins by setting you up with Source SDK and a 3D development environment. Through a series of guided tutorials, you will learn what it takes to create a professional, polished map or mod.
You will learn how to create varying types of worlds, from underground labs to flowing outdoor terrains. You will also learn how to bring life into your world with advanced texturing, lighting, and decorating techniques. Towards the end of the book, we will learn how to create goal-driven A.I. sequences and scripts to choreograph epic battles and take control of your enemies and allies.
The content has been developed using the illustrations from Half Life Episode 2
This book is written by a gamer, for a gamer to guide just about anything with Source SDK giving a firm grasp of all the tools it has to offer using step-by-step explanations.
Who this book is for
If you’re a keen gamer who wants a bit more out of your favorite game and wants to create your own modifications (mods) and levels with the Source engine, this book is great for you. No programming and Source SDK experience is required.