Small Business Server 2008 – Installation, Migration, and Configuration
|Also available on:|
- Step-by-step guidance through the installation and configuration process with numerous pictures
- Successfully install SBS 2008 into your business, either as a new installation or by migrating from SBS 2003
- Configure hosted web sites for public and secure information exchange using Office Live for Small Business and Office Live Workspaces
- An illustrative book for people with basic technical skills and no SBS background
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 408 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : April 2009
ISBN : 1847196306
ISBN 13 : 9781847196309
Author(s) : David Overton
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Microsoft Servers, Networking and Servers, Enterprise, Microsoft
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Introduction to SBS 2008
Chapter 3: Preparing to Migrate from SBS 2003
Chapter 4: Installing SBS 2008 and Connecting to the Internet
Chapter 5: Migrating Systems and Settings from SBS 2003
Chapter 6: Migrating Email from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007
Chapter 7: Migrating the CompanyWeb SharePoint Site
Chapter 8: Migrating Users and Data from SBS 2003
Chapter 9: Configuring your Services
Chapter 10: Securing the Server
Chapter 11: Managing Users and their Computers
Chapter 12: Working with SBS Services as a User
Chapter 13: Introduction to SBS 2008 Management
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 1 submitted: last submission 05 Mar 2014
Errata type: Typo | Page number: 147 |
In the chapter title, "CompanyWeb" was mispelled as "CompanWeb". The title should be "Migrating the CompanyWeb SharePoint Site".
What you will learn from this book
- Install SBS 2008, based on Windows Server, 2008 into your business environment
- Upgrade from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 reliably
- Securely configure network access and access from the internet
- Enable Exchange 2007 for email, calendar, and contacts
- Deliver collaboration tools based on SharePoint to improve finding and sharing of information across your business
- Manage the updates and security of all the PCs in your business network avoiding viruses and data leakage
- Empower people to work remotely away from the office, but be as productive as if they were in the office
- Understand how to manage the services delivered to your users
- Gain the basic systems management knowledge to start the task of keeping your server running smoothly
Small Businesses need to capitalize on the investments they make in IT to drive the business forward. SBS 2008 is uniquely positioned to deliver, but a poor implementation becomes a hindrance rather than a benefit to your business. Well implemented solutions enable your business to appear larger, yet more dynamic than many enterprises.
It's easy to get Small Business Server 2008 up and running when you've got this book to hand. It helps you in a clear and friendly manner to understand how to implement SBS 2008 inside your business in a way that matches your business needs. The author's experience enables him to share a tried and tested path to deliver the business benefits without becoming bogged down in unnecessary details that are not relevant to small businesses.
SBS 2008 is a fantastic investment for Small Businesses to make towards a well managed and highly functional IT solution in their business. This book is the culmination of many years advising small business owners and consultants on the recommend, tried and tested path to implement small business technology from Microsoft. Through this book you will gain an understanding of the features you can choose to use and then how to securely implement the server to deliver them. It will guide you through the installation and configuration process with the help of step-by-step instructions and plentiful screenshots. It will also explain how you can benefit from the collaboration tools based on SharePoint and how you can protect all your business data with a back-up process that covers anything from deleted files to a fire in the office.
Imagine how great you'll feel when your Small Business Server 2008 is ready and working, and you can get back to surfing the Internet!
Understand how to install SBS 2008, either as your first server or an upgrade from SBS 2003, and then derive quick value for your users
This book presents step-by-step guidance through the installation and configuration process with the help of numerous screenshots. It contains many snippets of information and guidance on decision making. As every eventuality can't be covered, there are links to online information as well as pointers to forums the author personally interacts with to answer additional questions.
Who this book is for
This book is designed for anyone who needs to install and configure SBS 2008. You don't need to be a technical consultant who wants to tweak every setting to become an SBS success. This book will help those with a basic understanding of technology and a desire to install and use SBS 2008 quickly and continue with their business.