Scala for Java Developers
|Also available on:|
- Learn the syntax interactively to smoothly transition to Scala by reusing your Java code
- Leverage the full power of modern web programming by building scalable and reactive applications
- Easy to follow instructions and real world examples to help you integrate java code and tackle big data challenges
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 282 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : April 2014
ISBN : 1783283637
ISBN 13 : 9781783283637
Author(s) : Thomas Alexandre
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Application Development, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Programming Interactively within Your Project
Chapter 2: Code Integration
Chapter 3: Understanding the Scala Ecosystem
Chapter 4: Testing Tools
Chapter 5: Getting Started with the Play Framework
Chapter 6: Database Access and the Future of ORM
Chapter 7: Working with Integration and Web Services
Chapter 8: Essential Properties of Modern Applications – Asynchrony and Concurrency
Chapter 9: Building Reactive Web Applications
Chapter 10: Scala Goodies
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Apply and control the Scala Ecosystem
- Migrate Java code to Scala
- Discover Play Framework web development
- Test data using Scala's testing frameworks
- Manipulate XML and JSON in Scala
- Learn the Scala syntax interactively
- Integrate Java projects in Scala
- Build reactive web apps using the Typesafe stack
- Use new systems including the Akka framework, the Play web framework, and the emerging Slick framework
- Tackle big data challenges
Scala for Java Developers is a step-by-step guide full of easy-to-follow code taken from real-world examples explaining the migration and integration of Scala in a Java project.
With this book, you will first get comfortable with the Scala syntax and its Java-like ecosystem, and then dive into new ways of building reactive web apps using the Typesafe stack including the actor-based Akka framework, the Play web framework, and the emerging Slick framework for persistence. The book will then teach you how to review useful tools for unit, integration, and functional testing; demonstrate how integrating with external systems applies to the Scala world and what its benefits are.
From learning the Scala syntax interactively to writing modern, scalable, reactive applications, this book will help you to take your skills to the next level by solving complex problems in a concise and maintainable way.
This step-by-step guide is full of easy-to-follow code taken from real-world examples explaining the migration and integration of Scala in a Java project.
Who this book is for
If you are a Java developer or a Java architect working with Java EE-based solutions and want to start using Scala in your daily programming, then this book is ideal for you. This book will get you up and running quickly by adopting a pragmatic approach with real-world code samples. No prior knowledge of Scala is required.