RestKit for iOS
|Also available on:|
- A step-by-step guide that goes beyond theory and into practice
- Learn how to overcome hurdles that might pop up along the way when using RestKit
- Learn how to integrate new frameworks into an existing app
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 118 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : September 2013
ISBN : 1782163700
ISBN 13 : 9781782163701
Author(s) : Taras Kalapun
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Application Development, Open Source
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: Getting Started
Chapter 2: Modeling and Loading Remote Objects
Chapter 3: Persistence with Core Data
Chapter 4: Advanced Stuff
- Chapter 1: Getting Started
- Simple usage example
- So what is RestKit?
- Why RestKit?
- RestKit components
- How it works?
- Adding RestKit and libraries
- MongoHQ – a MongoDB in clouds
- Trying basic stuff
- Object mapping fundamentals
- Data modeling
- Chapter 2: Modeling and Loading Remote Objects
- Object Manager
- Sending requests with object manager
- Integrating with UI and DRYing the table view
- Requesting related objects
- RESTful object manipulation
- Routing inside out
- Entering data in forms
- Chapter 3: Persistence with Core Data
- Setting up a database
- Magical Record
- Integrating with UI
- Database seeding
- Indexing and searching
- Chapter 4: Advanced Stuff
- Error mapping
- Metadata mapping
- Advanced object mapping techniques
- Batching operations
- Paginating results
- OAuth 1.0
- OAuth 2.0
- SSL and certificates
- HTTP caching
- Background processing
- Custom HTTP client
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Learn how to load remote data in local objects with a single line of code
- Integrate network-related code with the user interface
- Learn how REST web services work
- Add and remove third party libraries with Cocoapods
- Cache and synchronize remote data with a local database
RestKit is an iOS framework for streamlining communication with web services, and it relies on the AFNetworking library that is used by thousands of app developers. It has an interface that is elegant and well designed, and it provides a powerful object-mapping engine that integrates well with the CoreData database. RestKit for iOS will teach you everything from loading a simple list of objects to creating a fully-featured app.
RestKit for iOS delivers constructive tools and insights into app development that will benefit any app developer. The book starts with a simple example and then moves on to more complex ones as your knowledge increases. By the end of the guide, you will be able to build a fully-featured app that uses RESTful web services and performs CRUD object manipulation.
RestKit for iOS will provide you with all the information you need to boost the development process of both simple and complex apps. Once you have executed a simple example and reviewed the basic theory, you will move on to more advanced concepts with descriptions of real-life scenarios and how to overcome bottlenecks. RestKit for iOS is full of real-life examples that show you how to simplify data loading, basic and advanced object mapping, metadata mapping, and routing. This book also teaches you about routing, RESTful object manipulation and synchronization, integration with the user interface, and caching
A step-by-step, example-based guide to learning how you can link your apps and web services using RestKit.
Who this book is for
This book is for iOS developers of all levels who are interested in boosting their productivity by utilizing third party libraries and who have a willingness to learn how to build RESTful apps using the RestKit framework. A basic knowledge of Objective-C is required as well as a simple understanding of how to use CoreData.