RESTful Services with ASP.NET Web API [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results
- Apply your current ASP.NET knowledge to make your Web APIs more secure and comply to the global standard in order to make your service RESTful
- Explore the possibilities of extending your Web APIs by making use of message handlers, filters, and media formatters
- Comprehensive examples to help you build an end-to-end working solution for a real-use case
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Course Length : 2 hours 4 minutes
ISBN : 1783285753
ISBN 13 : 9781783285754
Author(s) : Fanie Reynders
Topics and Technologies : Video, e-Learning, Open Source
Table of Contents
- Introduction [11:47 minutes]
- Definition and Features
- Relationship with REST
- ASP.NET Web APIs versus WCF
- A Lap Around the Basics [15:03 minutes]
- A Uniform Interface
- The APIController
- Implementation by Convention
- Verb to Attributes
- A Hands-on Example: The Book Store [20:18 minutes]
- An Overview
- Getting Started
- Designing the Model
- Creating the Endpoints
- The Book Store: Service in Action
- Securing Web APIs [15:54 minutes]
- Authentication and Authorization
- Types of Authentication
- Applying Custom Basic Authentication
- Enabling SSL and Enforcing HTTPS
- Extensibility [21:28 minutes]
- Applying Media Formatters
- Message Handlers
- Using Filters
- The Service Resolver
- Implementing OData
- Interacting with Clients [12:00 minutes]
- The HttpClient
- Using HttpClient Message Handlers
- Creating a Custom Client
- A Comprehensive Demo of The Book Store App
- Documentation Using Help Pages [12:26 minutes]
- Adding Help Pages
- Generating Additional Documentation
- Adding a Test Client
- Customizing Help Pages
- Hosting and Deploying [15:10 minutes]
- Hosting Options
- A Demo on Self-Hosting
- A Demo on OWIN Hosting
- Setting Up the Cloud with Azure
- Deploying Your Web APIs
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Understand the important features of ASP.NET Web API including its relationship to REST and WCF
- Start building a real Web API from scratch to be consumed by any RESTful client
- Learn about authentication and authorization, and applying security to the service over SSL
- Explore extensibility options such as media type formatters to serve different file formats, message handlers to implement rate-limiting, filters for validation, dependency injection, and OData
- Create a custom HTTP client and wire the client up to the service
- Leverage the power of automatic documentation generation to provide comprehensive usage information for your Web API
- Evaluate the different hosting options and publish your service to the cloud on Azure
Who this video course is for
This video tutorial is for web developers with a basic understanding of ASP.NET, HTML, and CSS.
Today, apps are everywhere, and most of these apps run on complex cloud-based backends. ASP.NET Web API allows you to easily create and deploy Web APIs to be consumed in a RESTful manner by developers to build rich and interactive applications.
This video course is a great starting point for any web developer who wants to create simple web APIs in minutes. By applying your knowledge of ASP.NET in conjunction with the information provided in this video tutorial, you will learn to master the art of building RESTful services by example.
The video course begins with a brief introduction that will soon get you up to speed with the framework, and will then get you building a fully-functional Web API from scratch during the course of the tutorial.
You will learn some of the important features of ASP.NET Web API and how it aligns to the REST standard. You will explore the different implementation strategies and get familiar with some security implementations and ways to extend your APIs, including how to wire up the client side to the service. The tutorial also contains information on automatic documentation generation and deployment strategies such as publishing to Azure.
This video tutorial provides you with a comprehensive, clear, and easy-to-follow guide to creating RESTful services with ASP.NET Web API.
Screenshots from the course
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
This video tutorial is structured to help you quickly work through the basics and ease into the more advanced topics. During the course of this tutorial, you will be actively involved in the building of a full service - by example and from scratch.