Python Network Programming Cookbook
|Also available on:|
- Demonstrates how to write various besopke client/server networking applications using standard and popular third-party Python libraries
- Learn how to develop client programs for networking protocols such as HTTP/HTTPS, SMTP, POP3, FTP, CGI, XML-RPC, SOAP and REST
- Provides practical, hands-on recipes combined with short and concise explanations on code snippets
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 234 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : March 2014
ISBN : 1849513465
ISBN 13 : 9781849513463
Author(s) : Dr. M. O. Faruque Sarker
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Cookbooks, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Sockets, IPv4, and Simple Client/Server Programming
Chapter 2: Multiplexing Socket I/O for Better Performance
Chapter 3: IPv6, Unix Domain Sockets, and Network Interfaces
Chapter 4: Programming with HTTP for the Internet
Chapter 5: E-mail Protocols, FTP, and CGI Programming
Chapter 6: Screen-scraping and Other Practical Applications
Chapter 7: Programming Across Machine Boundaries
Chapter 8: Working with Web Services – XML-RPC, SOAP, and REST
Chapter 9: Network Monitoring and Security
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Develop TCP/IP networking client/server applications
- Administer local machines' IPv4/IPv6 network interfaces
- Write multi-purpose efficient web clients for HTTP and HTTPS protocols
- Create e-mail clients to work with common e-mail protocols such as SMTP, POP3, IMAP, and so on.
- Scrape websites and search for useful information
- Perform remote system administration tasks over Telnet and SSH connections
- Interact with popular websites via web services such as XML-RPC, SOAP, and REST APIs
- Monitor and analyze major common network security vulnerabilities
Python is an excellent language to use to write code and have fun by prototyping applications quickly. The presence of lots of third-party libraries, also known as batteries, makes it even more easier and faster to prototype an application or to implement a new algorithm. If you are interested in creating the building blocks for many practical web and networking applications that rely on networking protocols then this book is a must-have.
This book highlights major aspects of network programming in Python starting from writing simple networking clients, to developing complex screen-scraping and network security monitoring scripts. It creates the building blocks for many practical web and networking applications that rely on various networking protocols. This book presents the power and beauty of Python in solving the numerous real-world tasks in the area of network programming, system and network administration, network monitoring, and web-application development.
This book develops your ability to solve a wide range of network programming tasks in Python. We will start by exploring the Python standard library functions to create client/server network and manipulate your local networking resources available under both IPv4 and IPv6. The practical focus continues with creating web and email clients, scraping web pages, fetching information from various websites, and searching for information on the Web such as Amazon, Flickr, and other sites. It further develops your skills to analyze your network security vulnerabilities using advanced network packet capture and analysis techniques.
An easy-to-follow guide full of hands-on examples on real-world networking tasks. It covers the advanced topics of network programming in Python using a set of selected recipes.
Who this book is for
If you are a network programmer, system/network administrator, or a web application developer, this book is ideal for you. You should have a basic familiarity with the Python programming language and TCP/IP networking concepts. However if you are a novice, you will develop an understanding of the concepts as you progress with this book. This book will serve as a supplementary material for developing hands-on skills in any academic course on network programming.