Practical Data Analysis and Reporting with BIRT
|Also available on:|
- Get started with BIRT Report Designer
- Develop the skills to get the most from it
- Transform raw data into visual and interactive content
- Design, manage, format, and deploy high-quality reports
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 312 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : February 2008
ISBN : 1847191096
ISBN 13 : 9781847191090
Author(s) : John Ward
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Data, Java, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Installing BIRT
Chapter 3: The BIRT Environment and Your First Report
Chapter 4: Visual Report Components
Chapter 5: Working with Data
Chapter 6: Report Parameters
Chapter 7: Report Projects and Libraries
Chapter 8: Styles, Themes, and Templates
Chapter 9: Charts, Hyperlinks, and Drill-Downs
Chapter 10: Scripting and Event Handling
Chapter 11: Deployment
Chapter 12: Practical Example— Building Reports for Bugzilla
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 1 submitted: last submission 14 May 2012
Errata type: Code | Page number: 248
Code block: "paramSortOrder" should be "rptprmSortOrder"
What you will learn from this book
- Installing and setting up a BIRT environment
- Creating structured reports and adding visual report elements
- Working with data from JDBC, XML, flat files, and web services
- Filtering down data to just the information you need
- Creating cross-tab reports using the new BIRT cube designer
- Creating a shared development environment using libraries
- Using style sheets and themes in report designs
- Using and creating Templates for rapid development of similar reports
- Everything you need to work with BIRT's chart engine
- Scripting in BIRT to add business logic, manipulate report elements and handle events
- Deploying BIRT reports
- Case Studyâ€”Building Reports for Bugzilla
BIRT, which stands for Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools, is actually a development framework. Including the word "Tools" in the acronym is appropriate, since BIRT is in fact a collection of development tools and technologies used for report development utilizing the BIRT framework. BIRT is essentially not a product, but a series of core technologies on top of which products and solutions are built, similar in fashion to the Eclipse framework.
The focus of this book is on the most visible and familiar product built with the BIRT framework, which is the BIRT Report Designer. The BIRT Report Designer is an Eclipse plug-in that utilizes BIRT technologies to allow users to design reports in the BIRT document format. You can integrate it with your Java/J2EE applications to produce compelling reports.
This book is a concise and practical guide aimed at getting the results you want as quickly as possible. It steers the reader through each point of reporting from setup, to scripting, designing, formatting, and deploying BIRT reports using a common example that runs through the book.
Who this book is for
This book is for Java developers who want to create rich reports and get started with BIRT to do this. Readers will need a basic understanding of SQL to follow along.