PostgreSQL for Data Architects
|Also available on:|
- Understand how to utilize the most frequently used PostgreSQL ecosystem-related tools and technologies
- A hands-on guide focused primarily on providing a practical approach to learning about architecture and design considerations for database architects
- The book covers PostgreSQL from a data architect’s perspective – covering topics from installation from source to designing tables using SQL Power Architect,as well asdeciding replication and failover strategies.
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 290 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : September 2014
ISBN : 1783288604
ISBN 13 : 9781783288601
Author(s) : Jayadevan Maymala
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Big Data and Business Intelligence, Open Source
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Compile PostgreSQL from source and understand PostgreSQL architecture
- Configure parameters and change default settings for a PostgreSQL server
- Leverage the logging mechanism to identify errors and suboptimal queries
- Use replication to scale horizontally
- Set up backup and recovery processes
- Tweak parameters to optimize queries and processes
- Troubleshoot connection errors
- Use indexes and rewrite queries to improve performance
- Install and use Postgre extensions
- Learn how to leverage the command-line client (psql)
PostgreSQL is an incredibly flexible and dependable open source relational database. Harnessing its power will make your applications more reliable and extensible without increasing costs. Using PostgreSQL’sadvanced features will save you work and increase performance, once you've discovered how to set it up.
This book will teach you everything you need to learn in order to get a scalable and optimized PostgreSQL server up and running.
The book starts with basic concepts like installing PostgreSQL from source and covers theoretical aspects such as concurrency and transaction management. After this, you'll learn how to set up replication, use load-balancing to scale horizontally, and troubleshoot errors.
As you continue through this book, you will see the significant impact of configuration parameters on performance, scalability, and transaction management. Finally, you will get acquainted with useful tools available in the PostgreSQL ecosystem used for analyzingPostgreSQL logs, setting up load-balancing, and recovery.
This practical guide leads you through numerous aspects of working with PostgreSQL. Step-by-step examples allow you to easily set up and extend your database applications with PostgreSQL.
Who this book is for
This book is for developers and data architects who have some exposure to databases. It is assumed that youunderstand the basic concepts of tables and common database objects, includingprivileges and security.