Oracle JRockit: The Definitive Guide
|Also available on:|
- Learn about the fundamental building blocks of a JVM, such as code generation and memory management, and utilize this knowledge to develop code you can count on
- Realize the full potential of Java applications by learning how to apply advanced tuning and analysis
- Work with the JRockit Mission Control 3.1/4.0 tools suite to debug or profile your Java applications
- Learn the simplicity and performance benefits of virtualizing Java through JRockit Virtual Edition
- Written by Marcus Hirt and Marcus Lagergren, founder members of Appeal Virtual Machines, the company that created the Java Virtual Machine: JRockit
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Getting Started
Chapter 2: Adaptive Code Generation
Chapter 3: Adaptive Memory Management
Chapter 4: Threads and Synchronization
Chapter 5: Benchmarking and Tuning
Chapter 6: JRockit Mission Control
Chapter 7: The Management Console
Chapter 8: The Runtime Analyzer
Chapter 9: The Flight Recorder
Chapter 10: The Memory Leak Detector
Chapter 11: JRCMD
Chapter 12: Using the JRockit Management APIs
Chapter 13: JRockit Virtual Edition
Appendix A: Bibliography
Appendix B: Glossary
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Get to grips with the fundamental building blocks of a JVM: the code generator, the garbage collector, and the implementation of threads and synchronization. Learn the design philosophy behind the JRockit JVM in these areas.
- Become a better Java programmer through enhanced understanding of the Java runtime.
- Learn how program execution works in an adaptive environment.
- Create relevant benchmarks and accurately measure the performance of your Java application.
- Learn the most important command-line flags that control JRockit subsystems and their use for performance tuning.
- Get to know what JRockit Mission Control is, how to set it up, and how to trouble-shoot it.
- Use the JRockit Management Console to monitor and manage a running JRockit instance.
- Profile your JRockit JVM and Java application with near zero overhead using the JRockit Runtime Analyzer and the JRockit Flight Recorder.
- Detect and resolve Java memory leaks using the JRockit Memory Leak Detector tool.
- Learn how JRockit Virtual Edition works and why it outperforms other Java solutions in traditional virtualized environments.
Oracle JRockit is one of the industry’s highest performing Java Virtual Machines. Java developers are always on the lookout for better ways to analyze application behavior and gain performance. As we all know, this is not as easy as it looks. Welcome to JRockit: The Definitive Guide.
This book helps you gain in-depth knowledge of Java from the JVM’s point of view. We will explain how to write code that works well with the JVM to gain performance and scalability. Starting with the inner workings of the JRockit JVM and finishing with a thorough walkthrough of the tools in the JRockit Mission Control suite, this book is for anyone who wants to know more about how the JVM executes your Java application and how to profile for better performance.
Filled with careful step-by-step instructions and plenty of screenshots, this tutorial shows you JRockit and how to get the most from it. All key concepts in the JRockit JVM, such as code generation, memory management and other internals are introduced. Performance aspects of Java are discussed in detail. A complete guide to use the tools in the JRockit Mission Control suite is also included, and much more.
Who this book is for
This book is for intermediate to advanced Java Developers, who want to monitor, diagnose, profile and enhance the performance of their Java applications. It is also for people who want to understand more about the internal workings of a modern Java Virtual Machine or adaptive runtime. Parts of the book are suitable as course material for education about runtimes.