Instant Website Optimization for Retina Displays How-to [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Create high-resolution graphics for websites
- Learn to create scalable graphics using CSS, SVG, and Canvas
- Embed fonts from the web for creating unique typography and graphics
- Learn how to add high-resolution icons and startup images to your web apps
- Implement scripting techniques to replace your images with high-resolution versions
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 56 pages
Release Date : January 2013
ISBN : 1849695121
ISBN 13 : 9781849695121
Author(s) : Kyle J. Larson
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Mobile Application Development, iOS
Table of ContentsPreface
Instant Website Optimization for Retina Displays How-to
- Instant Website Optimization for Retina Displays How-to
- Creating your first Retina image (Must know)
- Retina background images (Must know)
- Optimizing (Must know)
- Creating image sprites (Should know)
- CSS border images (Should know)
- CSS media queries (Should know)
- CSS image-set (Become an expert)
- Using code instead of images (Must know)
- Embedding fonts (Should know)
- Fonts as icons (Should know)
- High-resolution web apps (Should know)
- Scalable Vector Graphics (Become an expert)
- Canvas (Become an expert)
- Server-side Retina solutions (Become an expert)
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Create retina images, backgrounds, and borders
- Use CSS to create shapes and buttons for user interfaces
- Design retina image sprites to speed up your site
- Embed unique fonts and use them as graphics
- Make your web apps high-resolution with icons and startup images
- Create resolution independent images using SVG
- Use media queries and the image-set property to provide multiple versions of your images
Apple launched its line of high-resolution, retina display products with the iPhone 4 and has continued to integrate the technology into its other products. These beautiful displays take computing to a new level with incredibly sharp text and graphics. As other manufacturers add similar displays to their devices, high-resolution graphics will become the new standard for the apps and websites of the future.
"Instant Website Optimization for Retina Displays How-to" is a comprehensive guide to building a website that will look fantastic on high-resolution displays. Helpful insights and simple instructions walk you through all the various methods of optimizing your site for the latest mobile and desktop devices.
This book begins by covering the basics of retina images and dives right into practical advice so you can start improving your website’s images. It continues building on the basic techniques with simple recipes covering all the tools you’ll need to make an impressive high-resolution website.
We will take a look at the techniques for adding retina backgrounds, sprites, border images, and loading large images only when needed to keep your website running fast. We will create a variety of basic shapes and styles using CSS that can be used instead of graphics in your user interface. We’ll cover scalable image techniques, including using fonts as icons and implementing Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), which make your graphics look great on any device.
After reading "Instant Website Optimization for Retina Displays How-to" you’ll have the techniques to make creating high-definition websites easy. You’ll have an arsenal of tools for creating graphics on the web at your disposal, leading to superior websites that are beautiful and fast.
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. Get the job done and learn as you go. Written in an accessible and practical manner which quickly imparts the knowledge you want to know. As a How-to book it will use applied examples and teach you to optimize websites for retina displays.
Who this book is for
This book is for web designers and developers who are familiar with HTML, CSS, and editing graphics who would like to improve their existing website or their next web project with high-resolution images. You’ll need to have a high-definition device to be able to test the examples in this book and a server to upload your code to if you’re not developing it on that device.