Instant OpenNMS Starter [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results
- Learn something new with OpenNMS in an instant
- Be the first to know when network issues arise through notifications
- Easily discover nodes on your network and start monitoring right away
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 60 pages
Release Date : June 2013
ISBN : 1849695768
ISBN 13 : 9781849695763
Author(s) : Ghislain Hachey
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Networking and Servers
Table of ContentsInstant OpenNMS Starter
- Instant OpenNMS Starter
- So, what is OpenNMS?
- Step 1 – preparing for the deployment
- Step 2 – setting up OpenNMS software repositories
- Step 3 – installing the Java Development Kit (JDK)
- Step 4 – installing and configure PostgreSQL
- Step 5 – installing OpenNMS
- And that's it
- Quick start – exploring foundational concepts
- Step 1 – exploring the Web User Interface
- Step 2 – host discovery
- Step 3 – exploring out-of-the-box features
- Step 4 – organizing users, groups, and categories
- Users, groups, and role management
- Categories management
- Top 5 features you need to know about
- Service assurance through polling
- Poller packages
- Scheduled outages
- Downtime models
- Polling custom services
- Data collection through collectors
- Thresholds and notifications
- Threshold groups
- Threshold packages
- Threshold activation
- Creating thresholds
- Notification destination paths
- Events, alarms, and automations
- Events configuration
- Events advanced features
- Alarm configuration
- Resource graphs reports
- Key SNMP Custom (KSC) performance, node, and domain reports
- Database reports
- Statistics reports
- People and places you should get to know
- Official sites
- Articles and tutorials
- Community involvement
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Find out how to benefit from using OpenNMS with little effort right from the start
- Learn how you can extend the capabilities of OpenNMS through the use of SNMP
- Tune OpenNMS to your specific network monitoring needs
- Generate custom reports for the technical team, management, or clients
- Chart performance data for your important services or any other network metric
- Learn to configure thresholds, alarms, and notifications
OpenNMS is an enterprise-grade network monitoring platform built following the open source model by a strong community of professional network operators. It is proven to scale to hundreds of thousands of nodes and rivals even the best proprietary competing products in terms of features. Equally, it is well suited to manage small network infrastructures with relative ease, which makes it an ideal choice from the start.
Instant OpenNMS Starter helps you get to grips with OpenNMS, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. It aims to make network and systems administration more exciting and inspires you to use this professional grade system in your own unique ways.
At a time when the number of technology start-ups is increasing at an exciting rate, Instant OpenNMS Starter is the ideal introduction to a tool that will help you maintain the highest possible level of service.
This book provides a lot in a very short amount of space. You will be given everything you need to get started with a reasonably secure installation. In minutes, you will be monitoring as little or as many nodes on your network as you wish.
You will be armed with the knowledge and inspiration necessary to take network management to the next level.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks. A starters' guide to learning OpenNMS with ease, with a focus on immediate results.
Who this book is for
Instant OpenNMS Starter is for network administrators of any level with a slight focus on the novice that would enjoy a swift glance at what OpenNMS has to offer. It assumes the reader will have knowledge of basic network operations and protocols such as the Internet Protocol Suite.