Packt is pleased to announce the release of “Instant HTML5 Local Storage How-to”, which will help readers get to grips with the HTML5 local storage standard with 15 power-packed recipes. This book is a practical and intuitive Instant How-to guide, guaranteed to improve understanding and efficiency.
About the Author: Alex Libby works in IT support. He has been involved in supporting end users for the last 15 years in a variety of different environments, and currently works as a Technical Analyst, supporting a medium-sized SharePoint estate for an international parts distributor based in the U.K.
Web storage can be viewed simplistically as an improvement on cookies. However, it differs from cookies in some key ways. Data placed in local storage is per domain (it's available to all scripts from the domain that originally stored the data) and persists after the browser is closed. Web storage provides far greater storage capacity (5 MB per origin in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera; 10 MB per storage area in Internet Explorer) compared to 4 KB (around 1000 times less space) available to cookies.
Instant HTML5 Local Storage How-to provides readers with all the information that is needed, from startup to complete confidence in using local storage. This book looks at how you can incorporate the HTML5 local storage standard into your websites, using the power of modern browsers to store useful information that can be referenced at any time without recourse to the server.
The book will enable readers to learn about:
- Basic usage of HTML5 Storage, including its limitations and security
- Viewing local Storage content in the browser
- Building a basic demo using session and local storage
- Adding detection to a site to determine when one can use LocalStorage
- Implementing application caching, with checks to determine online status
- Using web storage instead of cookies
- Building a simple plugin using jQuery
- Adding objects, arrays, images, and TTL support to storage
- Adjusting local storage space for browsers
Instant HTML5 Local Storage How-to is full of illustrations and tips with clear step-by-step instructions and practical examples. To know more about the book, and to check eBook purchasing options, please visit the Packt book-page.
|Instant HTML5 Local Storage How-to|
|Over 15 recipes to take advantage of the HTML5 Local Storage standard
For more information, please visit the book page