Near Field Communication with Android Cookbook
|Also available on:|
- Practical and real-life examples showing how and where NFC can be used
- Discover how to exploit NFC capabilities to enhance your apps to easily share and interact with the world
- Learn how to extend cross-device content sharing by taking advantage of Android Beam's capabilities
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 304 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : July 2014
ISBN : 1783289651
ISBN 13 : 9781783289653
Author(s) : Vitor Subtil
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Cookbooks, Open Source
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Work with the foreground dispatch system NFC data exchange format
- Create several applications to consolidate knowledge and see what NFC can be used for
- Read and write tags with Uri, text, mime, and external types
- Share content across two NFC-enabled devices
- Handle errors in tag reading and writing
- Extend NFC usage using Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- Send commands from your smartphone to Arduino and Raspberry Pi
- Read and write tags with Arduino and send data to Raspberry Pi
- Combine NFC with social networks and games
- Use Open Nfc for Android to set up a virtual development and testing environment
Near field communication, or simply NFC, is an emerging technology with endless applicability. Its low battery consumption and simplicity are the keys for to its success. From simple daily tasks such as opening a website, to access control and instant payments, NFC is used everywhere. Manufacturers are starting to include the NFC chip in every smartphone, so it is rapidly becoming accessible to everyone. Now is the time to take advantage of NFC to ensure that your project is a success.
This is a practical, hands-on book, that covers a range of step-by-step recipes, from the very first steps with NFC to some awesome and more advanced real-life applications.
This book will take you through a number of clear, practical recipes that will help you to set up your development environment, helping you to get to know the basics of near field communication and then use what you learn to create more enhanced and practical applications. This book shows you how and where to use NFC.
You will learn how to set up your development and testing environment to use NFC in your applications. The first areas you will cover are reading and writing different tag content types.
You will also take a look at sharing content directly between devices and extending NFC’s functionality through Bluetooth. At every step, you will be presented with fully functional and ready-to-use, real-life examples that will give you an idea of how powerful NFC can be and the benefits it can bring to your applications.
This practical guide will teach you all you need know about NFC to get you started in developing outstanding out-of-the-box applications.
An easy-to-follow guide, full of hands-on examples of and real-world applications. Each recipe is explained and placed in context.
Who this book is for
If you want to learn how to create NFC-enabled Android applications, this is the book for you. Perhaps you already know a bit about Android application developments but have never used NFC, or perhaps you know a little about NFC android development but want some more advanced features and examples. In either case, this book will get you up and running quickly. You are expected to have Android programming knowledge.