MySQL for Python
|Also available on:|
- Implement the outstanding features of Python's MySQL library to their full potential
- See how to make MySQL take the processing burden from your programs
- Learn how to employ Python with MySQL to power your websites and desktop applications
- Apply your knowledge of MySQL and Python to real-world problems instead of hypothetical scenarios
- A manual packed with step-by-step exercises to integrate your Python applications with the MySQL database server
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 440 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : September 2010
ISBN : 1849510180
ISBN 13 : 9781849510189
Author(s) : Albert Lukaszewski, PhD
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Big Data and Business Intelligence, Oracle Other, MySQL, Open Source, Python
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Getting Up and Running with MySQL for Python
Chapter 2: Simple Querying
Chapter 3: Simple Insertion
Chapter 4: Exception Handling
Chapter 5: Results Record-by-Record
Chapter 6: Inserting Multiple Entries
Chapter 7: Creating and Dropping
Chapter 8: Creating Users and Granting Access
Chapter 9: Date and Time Values
Chapter 10: Aggregate Functions and Clauses
Chapter 11: SELECT Alternatives
Chapter 12: String Functions
Chapter 13: Showing MySQL Metadata
Chapter 14: Disaster Recovery
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Explore the various means to install MySQL for Python, from using an egg to unrolling a tarball
- Query the database and retrieve records through MySQL for Python
- Implement insertion of data into a MySQL database in Python
- Carry out error-handling in MySQL for Python in order to ensure the robustness of programs
- Use secure logging techniques to record how your users use your programs
- Carry out record-by-record retrieval to save a lot of overhead while retrieving data
- Handle insertion of large amounts of data using iteration and the executemany function
- Automate the creation and removal of databases and tables using MySQL for Python
- Use the MySQL for Python library to automate user creation and to administer access controls
- Log user activity with MySQL for Python by using MySQL's date and time support
- See how to revise database programs to include more functionality
- Use aggregate functions to make MySQL take the burden off your web server
- Save time and processing resources by scripting JOINs and subqueries
Python is a dynamic programming language, which is completely enterprise ready, owing largely to the variety of support modules that are available to extend its capabilities. In order to build productive and feature-rich Python applications, we need to use MySQL for Python, a module that provides database support to our applications. Although you might be familiar with accessing data in MySQL, here you will learn how to access data through MySQL for Python efficiently and effectively.
This book demonstrates how to boost the productivity of your Python applications by integrating them with the MySQL database server, the world's most powerful open source database. It will teach you to access the data on your MySQL database server easily with Python's library for MySQL using a practical, hands-on approach. Leaving theory to the classroom, this book uses real-world code to solve real-world problems with real-world solutions.
The book starts by exploring the various means of installing MySQL for Python on different platforms and how to use simple database querying techniques to improve your programs. It then takes you through data insertion, data retrieval, and error-handling techniques to create robust programs. The book also covers automation of both database and user creation, and administration of access controls. As the book progresses, you will learn to use many more advanced features of Python for MySQL that facilitate effective administration of your database through Python. Every chapter is illustrated with a project that you can deploy in your own situation.
By the end of this book, you will know several techniques for interfacing your Python applications with MySQL effectively so that powerful database management through Python becomes easy to achieve and easy to maintain.
A practical manual packed with step-by-step examples to manage your MySQL database efficiently through Python
This is a practical, tutorial-style book that includes many examples to demonstrate the full potential of MySQL for Python. Every chapter starts with an explanation of the various areas for using MySQL for Python and ends with work on a sample application using the programming calls just learned. All complicated concepts are broken down to be very easy to understand.
Everything in the book is designed to help you learn and use MySQL for Python to address your programming needs in the fastest way possible.
Who this book is for
This book is meant for intermediate users of Python who want hassle-free access to their MySQL database through Python. If you are a Python programmer who wants database-support in your Python applications, then this book is for you. This book is a must-read for every focused user of the MySQL for Python library who wants real-world applications using this powerful combination of Python and MySQL.