Instant Munin Plugin Starter [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Write custom plugins to monitor servers, printers, routers, and other devices
- Pinpoint server performance issues with ease
- Improve server performance by finding the root of the problem
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 62 pages
Release Date : February 2013
ISBN : 1849696748
ISBN 13 : 9781849696746
Author(s) : Bart ten Brinke
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Networking and Servers, Networking & Telephony, Open Source
Table of ContentsInstant Munin Plugin Starter
- Instant Munin Plugin Starter
- So, what is Munin?
- Step 1 – What do I need?
- Step 2 – Installing Munin
- Step 3 – Plotting graphs
- And that's it
- Quick start – Setting up Munin
- Munin master configuration
- Example configuration file for Munin
- Munin node configuration
- Example configuration file for munin-node
- Managing plugins
- Top 6 features you need to know about
- Monitoring additional servers
- Step 1 – Installing munin-node
- Step 2 – Testing your munin-node installation
- Step 3 – Installing additional plugins
- Step 4 – Adding the new node to the master
- Monitoring additional devices
- Step 1 – Enabling the SNMP interface plugin
- Step 2 – Testing the SNMP interface plugin
- Step 3 – Configuring the Munin master
- Installing sensor plugins
- Monitoring sensors through lm-sensors
- Monitoring sensors through IPMI
- Writing a simple plugin
- Step 1 – Gathering the information we need
- Step 2 – Designing the graph
- Step 3 – Writing the plugin
- Step 4 – Testing the plugin
- Challenge yourself!
- Writing a complex plugin
- Step 1 – Rewriting our bash plugin to Perl
- Step 2 – Documentation and markers
- Step 3 – Supporting the autoconf argument
- Step 4 – Adding support for the suggest argument
- Advanced plugin options
- Challenge yourself!
- People and places you should get to know
- Finding plugins
- Windows support
- Interesting websites
The book is very concise and geared towards getting you started very quickly, along with providing information on how to extend further on when you scale up with your own custom munin agent monitors. - Liran Tal
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Configure a Munin master
- Set up a Munin node
- Instal plugins
- Monitoring hardware
- Setting up the Munin master webserver
- Writing a plugin in Bash and Perl
- Finding plugins to monitor specifics in your network
The real challenge of performance issues comes from trying to get to the root of the problem. Having a monitoring system set up makes your life, as a system administrator, a lot easier.
The Instant Munin Plugin Starter is a practical, hands-on guide that teaches you how to set up and monitor your network. Through a simple step-by-step process you will learn how to monitor other devices in your network and learn to write your own plugins. By the end of the book you will have the skills and the confidence to write plugins for any day-to-day task.
This book breaks down monitoring with Munin into small, easy-to-follow steps.
It starts by setting up a webserver to act as a Munin master and ends by teaching you how to write a custom plugin by yourself.
Learn how to configure Munin nodes to monitor servers and other devices in your network. This will make it easy to monitor switches, printers, or any other device attached to the network.
If you want to learn how monitoring gives you insight into your network, the Munin Plugin Starter is the book for you.
Get to grips with a new technology, understand what it is and what it can do for you, and then get to work with the most important features and tasks.This hands-on Starter guide will get you up and running with Munin and Munin plugins, giving you the power to monitor, fix, and optimize your networks.
Who this book is for
This book is great for system administrators who want to improve the monitoring level of their systems. It’s assumed that you have some experience with Linux-based systems and know your way around them.