|Also available on:|
- A complete guide for planning, installing, optimizing, customizing, and configuring Moodle
- Secure, back up, and restore your VLE
- Extending and networking Moodle
- Detailed walkthroughs and expert advice on best practices
- Checklist of over 100 common problems with solutions
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 376 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : September 2008
ISBN : 1847195628
ISBN 13 : 9781847195623
Author(s) : Alex Büchner
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Other, Content Management (CMS), e-Learning, Moodle, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Moodle Installation
Chapter 3: The Moodle System
Chapter 4: Course Management
Chapter 5: User Management
Chapter 6: Roles and Permissions
Chapter 7: Moodle: Look and Feel
Chapter 8: Moodle Configuration
Chapter 9: Monitoring User Activity
Chapter 10: Moodle Security
Chapter 11: Moodle Performance and Optimization
Chapter 12: Backup and Restore
Chapter 13: Installing Third-Party Add-Ons
Chapter 14: Moodle Networking
Appendix A: Moodle Health Check
Appendix B: Configuration Settings Reference
While others go into the details of “how”, this is the first book I have seen that takes the time out to explain “Why”. Having read this book, I now intend to not only recommend it strongly to others, but I also hope to find a way to factor it in price wise as part of my Moodle training kits whenever I run face to face Administration training
Moodle Administration has made me realise even more what a flexible and in fact robust beast Moodle is and/or can be. If you are a Moodler running or considering to run Moodle as admin, this book could be one of your best friends
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 1 submitted: last submission 05 Nov 2013
|page 7||Others||12 Mar 09|
What you will learn from this book
- Install and update Moodle on multiple platforms
- Understand the Moodle architecture and find your way around its user and administrator interfaces
- Work with large numbers of users: bulk enrolments and operations; advanced user management
- Configure courses, course categories, enrolment, and authentication mechanisms
- Assign, modify, and create roles and permissions to users
- Brand your site by changing the look & feel and creating custom themes
- Configure Moodle for accessibility, localization, and customize your module and grade/gradebook settings
- Interpret and analyze user activity, tracking statistics using Moodle's in-built monitoring facility and third-party tools like Google Analytics
- Secure user information, data, content, and the Moodle system
- Optimize Moodle for performance by fine-tuning your system parameters
- Back up and restore Moodle at course, site, and system level
- Extend Moodle through third-party add-onsâ€”making the right choice for your needs, installing, configuring, and uninstalling add-ons
- Build a network of Moodle systems and set up Moodle with the Mahara ePortfolio and social networking system
- Improve your Moodle experience by following the tips laid down in the Moodle Health Checkâ€”a checklist of over 100 common problems with solutions
Moodle has evolved from an academic project to the world's most popular virtual learning environment. During this evolution, its complexity has risen dramatically and so have the skills that are required to administer the system. While there is plenty of literature for Moodle course creators, there has been, with the exception of some disparate online resources, no Moodle administrator book. Until now!
This book is a complete, practical guide to administering Moodle sites. It covers how to set up Moodle in any learning environment, configuration and day-to-day admin tasks, as well as advanced options for customizing and extending Moodle.
This is a one-stop reference for any task you will ever come across when administering a Moodle site of any shape and size.
The author, who has been administering systems for over 20 years, has adopted a problem-solution approach to bring the content in line with your day-to-day operations.
Written in a clear, straightforward way with lots of screenshots and direct instructions this book will equip you with all the tools you need to set up, optimize, extend, and maintain a Moodle system. A problem-solution approach has been taken when possible to bring the content more in line with your day-to-day operations.
Who this book is for
This book is written for technicians, systems administrators, as well as academic staffâ€”basically anyone who has to administer a Moodle system. Whether you are dealing with a small-scale local Moodle system or a large-scale multi-site Virtual Learning Environment, this book will assist you with any administrative tasks. Some basic Moodle knowledge is helpful, but not essential.