Moodle 1.9 Top Extensions Cookbook
|Also available on:|
- Packed with recipes to help you get the most out of Moodle modules
- Improve education outcomes by situating learning in a real-world context using Moodle
- Organize your content and customize your courses
- Reviews of the best Moodle modules—out of the available 600 modules
- Installation and configuration guides
- Written in a conversational and easy-to-follow manner
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 324 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : November 2010
ISBN : 1849512167
ISBN 13 : 9781849512169
Author(s) : Michael de Raadt
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Other, e-Learning, Moodle, Open Source
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Getting Modular with Moodle
Chapter 2: Adding Content
Chapter 3: Connecting to the Outside World
Chapter 4: Getting Around In Moodle
Chapter 5: Effective Use of Space
Chapter 6: Assessing Students
Chapter 7: Organizing Students
Chapter 8: Encouraging Student Interaction
Chapter 9: Informing Students
Chapter 10: Handy Tools for Teachers
Chapter 11: Just for Fun
If you are looking to extend or ‘stretch’ Moodle’s core capabilities with safety and certainty then this is the book for you – whether you are an exploratory, novice or experienced ‘Moodler’ there is something for each of you
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Quick methods to make your Moodle courses engaging, attractive, and fun
- Fast ways to add multimedia to your course, or incorporate existing sounds and videos
- Embed Twitter, Wikipedia, and Google in a Moodle course page
- Assist users to navigate around a Moodle site
- Manage the space in a course page and offer easier navigation to users
- Explore alternate assessment methods with assignment alternatives, better quizzes and embedded formative assessment
- Equip teachers with tools for tracking student involvement
- Exercise to challenge yourself based on the knowledge culminated
Moodle is growing at a seemingly unstoppable rate. One of the key reasons for its popularity lies in its potential to extend with modules, thus making the site easier to administer, add new features, and completely change the way it looks. This book finds you the best Moodle modules, teaches you how to install them, and helps you to master their configuration.
There are hundreds of Moodle modules available. Find out which you can trust and how to put them to work. This practical book gives you hands-on experience on using and managing Moodle modules, thus making your learning website feature-rich. It covers many features and techniques in order to allow you to organize your ideas to improve teaching using Moodle as a virtual learning platform
This book begins with simple activities such as adding and installing modules. Then, it moves to a very interesting topic about the integration of multimedia into Moodle, covering major multimedia elements such as images, audio, and video.
Social networking applications like Twitter and Facebook are embedded in the Moodle course in order to invent stories, create group works, and create social team interactions with the virtual classroom. But the book doesn't end there, you will also see how to use Moodle to accept and assess coursework submissions, discuss work with students, and deliver quizzes, tests, and videos.
The book ends with a chapter full of simple challenges such as adding educational games. This book is written to help you find modules that will be useful to you and your students, and to show examples of how these modules can be setup and used in teaching.
Achieve outstanding results with ready-to-use recipes for creating feature-rich extensions for your website with various Moodle modules
The disorganised array of modules available for Moodle are brought together in ways you can relate to. Reviews include details that will help you decide if a module is worth testing. There are illustrated, step-by-step guides to installing and configuring modules.
Who this book is for
If you are involved in teaching using Moodle, be it at relatively small institutions running their own Moodle instance, or at large institutions where Moodle is used and administered, or you are an administrator of a Moodle instance who is looking for modules that will be useful to teachers and students at their institution, this book is meant for you.
Get students organised and help them manage their time