Mobile Web Development
|Also available on:|
- Build mobile-friendly sites and applications
- Adapt presentation to different devices
- Build mobile front ends to server-side applications
- Use SMS and MMS and take mobile payments
- Make applications respond to voice and touchtone commands
- Learn XHTML MP, WCSS, adaptation, best practices, and mobile AJAX
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 236 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : February 2008
ISBN : 1847193439
ISBN 13 : 9781847193438
Author(s) : Nirav Mehta
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Web Development, Mobile, Open Source
Back to BOOK PAGE
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Getting Mobile
Chapter 2: Starting Your Mobile Site
Chapter 3: Building Pizza On The Run
Chapter 4: Adapting to User Devices
Chapter 5: Developing Standards- Compliant Sites
Chapter 6: Sending Text Messages
Chapter 7: Adding Spice to Messages: MMS
Chapter 8: Making Money via Mobile Devices
Chapter 9: Interactive Voice
Chapter 10: Mobile AJAX
Chapter 11: Mobile Web 3.0?
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Build a mobile-friendly front end for your site â€“ learn XHTML Mobile Profile (XHTML MP) and Wireless CSS (WCSS), the CSS subset supported by mobile devices; target the full range of mobile browsers; adapt automatically to the capabilities of the device.
- Accept payments online via mobile web and SMS using Paypal, SMS short codes, and more.
- Integrate your application with SMS and MMS messages â€“ enable users to send SMS and MMS messages to your site, process them, and send SMS and MMS messages back to your users too; set up your own SMS gateway, or choose an existing gateway provider; include slideshows, movies, and sounds.
- Handle voice calls â€“ respond to voice input, create touchtone services, play pre-recorded voice or use text-to-speech to provide voice-based software.
- Future-proof your application â€“ understand the basics of iPhone development, the Android platform, and the implications of other developments in the mobile space.
As more users access the Web from their phones and other handhelds, web developers need to learn techniques for targeting these new devices. Sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and Google target mobiles with their services and products. Companies use mobile services to provide staff access to their applications while away from a computer.
This book is a complete, practical guide to writing mobile websites and applications. You will learn how to create mobile-friendly websites, adapt your content to the capabilities of different devices, save bandwidth with compression, and create server-side logic that integrates with a mobile front end. You will also see other methods for integrating your web application with mobile technology: sending and receiving MMS and SMS messages, accepting mobile payments, and working with voice calls to provide spoken interaction.
The book illustrates every technique with practical examples, showing how to use these development methods in the real world. Along the way we show how an example pizza delivery business can use these methods to open up to the mobile web.
Whether you want to provide customers and users of your public website with new ways to access your services, or build applications so that staff can stay up to date while on the road, this book will show you all you need to build a powerful mobile presence.
Technologies and tools covered in the book
Mobile Web Development shows you how to build a mobile presence for your web applications and sites. It covers targeting different mobile web browsers, sending and receiving SMS and MMS messages, accepting mobile payments, and developing voice- and touchtone-response systems.
The author adopts a fast-paced, practical approach to developing for the mobile web. The book focuses on solutions, pragmatic tips, and fast results rather than theory.
Each chapter focuses on an aspect of taking a pizza delivery company onto the mobile web. This ensures that the chapters remain practical and realistic, focusing on getting things done. The book also provides discussion and reference material to help you apply the techniques to your own projects.
Who this book is for
This book is for web developers who want to provide mobile support for their applications.