Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services Demystified [Video]
Packt Video. Stream online or download for unrestricted offline use. Learn more
- New! Packt Video courses: practical screencast-based tutorials that show you how to get the job done. Bite sized chunks, hands on instructions, and powerful results.
- Learn how to make the correct design choice between multidimensional and tabular models according to your project requirements
- Learn the key implementation features of Analysis Services cubes and how to visualize data
- An essential two hour course to get you familiar and productive with the basics of data analysis
Video DetailsLanguage : English
Release Date : Thursday, June 27, 2013
Course Length : 2 hours and 17 mins
ISBN : 184968930X
ISBN 13 : 9781849689304
Author(s) : Jen Stirrup
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Enterprise Products and Platforms, Video, Enterprise
Table of Contents
- SQL Server Analysis Prerequisites [16:18 minutes]
- Analysis Services Architecture
- Dimensional Modeling Concepts
- Business needs That Are Best Served by Analysis Services
- SQL Server Management Studio
- Understanding SQL Server Data Tools
- An Introduction to Tabular Modeling [18:19 minutes]
- What Is a Tabular Model?
- Key Glossary of Terms for Tabular Models
- Relationships within a Tabular Model
- Introduction to DAX
- Calculated Columns versus Calculated Measures
- Tabular Modeling for Analysis [19:28 minutes]
- Creating Calculated Columns
- Creating a Calculated Measure
- Creating KPIs
- Creating Partitions
- Creating Hierarchies
- Tabular Modeling Management [16:34 minutes]
- Create Tabular Model Partitions and Hierarchies
- Most Commonly Used DAX Expressions
- Tabular Model Deployment – Cached Mode
- Tabular Model Deployment – Production Mode
- Tabular Model Backups
- Introduction to Multidimensional Modeling [15:55 minutes]
- Multidimensional Models and Their Best Uses
- Multidimensional Model Types
- Introduction to MDX
- Advanced Use Cases of MDX
- MDX versus DAX
- Multidimensional Modeling for Analysis [17:28 minutes]
- Creating Multidimensional Model Dimensions
- Creating Multidimensional Model Calculations
- Creating Multidimensional Model Key Performance Indicators
- Creating Multidimensional Attributes
- Creating Multidimensional Model Partitions
- Multidimensional Model Management [17:33 minutes]
- Multidimensional Measure Groups
- Most Commonly Used MDX Expressions
- Multidimensional Aggregation Designs
- Multidimensional Model Process Options
- Multidimensional Model Deployment Options
- Visualizing Your Analysis Services Data [16:22 minutes]
- Visualizing Tabular Model Data with Power View
- Visualizing Multidimensional Model Data with SSRS
- Using Excel to Expose Your Tabular Data
- Using Excel to Expose Your Multidimensional Data
- Data Visualization Principles
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this video.
Download the code and support files for this video.
Support, complaints and feedback.
Packt is committed to making Packt Video courses a valuable, useful way for IT professionals to learn new skills. We have made every effort to ensure that this course reaches the required standard and will work on our customer's devices. Please go to our support page.
What you will learn from this video course
- Process, delete, and manage Analysis Services in Management Studio
- Analyze data in a cube and write queries in MDX
- Navigate around SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) in order to build cubes and tabular models
- Create multidimensional model Key Performance Indicators
- Enrich your existing business data using DAX language to implement business rules using calculations
- Improve the user experience by creating attributes within a dimension
- Understand the difference between DAX and MDX in order to help you to determine the accuracy of the formula
- Process and deploy the cube so that it optimally meets users needs
Who this video course is for
This video is for business intelligence developers and data analysts who do not have any SSAS multidimensional or tabular experience and who want to get started with the process of designing and implementing a project in SQL Server Analysis Services.
Microsoft SQL Server is an enterprise database server with a multitude of technologies within it. SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services is one of those technologies that empowers users to analyze business data quickly and easily. However, designing cubes in Analysis Services can be a complex task: it's all too easy to make mistakes early on in development that lead to serious problems when the cube is in production. Learning the best practices for cube design before you start your project will help you avoid these problems and ensure that your project is a success.
This practical video course teaches you how to make design decisions, manage multidimensional and tabular models, and finally visualize data to successfully deliver a business intelligence project.
Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services Demystified gives viewers an insight into the best practices for designing and building Microsoft Analysis Services 2012 cubes.
Packed with real world tasks, this video course starts by helping you make design decisions, recognizing that this maximizes the successful delivery of a business intelligence project. You then get a walkthrough of the key concepts and terms that are common to both the multidimensional and tabular models of Analysis Services. Next, you will move onto key technical implementations of Analysis Services cubes, such as hierarchies, natural and unnatural relationships, and essential MDX expressions. Finally, you will learn about visualizing the data in DAX and MDX in order to expose the data accurately using Excel, Reporting Services, and Power View.
This video course is an invaluable tutorial for anyone who is planning to use Microsoft Analysis Services 2012 in a business intelligence project.
Packt video courses are designed to cover the breadth of the topic in short, hands-on, task-based videos. Each course is divided into short manageable sections, so you can watch the whole thing or jump to the bit you need. The focus is on practical instructions and screencasts showing you how to get the job done.
This is a practical tutorial for Analysis Services that shows viewers how to solve problems commonly encountered while designing cubes, and explains which features of Analysis Services work well and which should be avoided.