Instant Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Learn version control quickly using Mercurial basics and advanced features
- Set up and work with the Mercurial server for collaborative software development
- Practise a centralized workflow and continuous integration
- Customize Mercurial with advanced commands, hooks, and extensions
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 64 pages
Release Date : April 2013
ISBN : 1782169911
ISBN 13 : 9781782169918
Author(s) : Christophe Muller
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Application Development, Instant, Open Source
Table of ContentsPreface
Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to
- Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to
- Installing Mercurial on your platform (Simple)
- Installing mercurial-server on your platform (Medium)
- Working with local files (Simple)
- Displaying information (Simple)
- Working with others (Simple)
- Using SSH and mercurial-server (Medium)
- Branching, merging, and managing conflicts (Simple)
- Working with continuous integration (Simple)
- Using additional commands and extensions (Advanced)
- Mastering tips and tricks (Medium)
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Install and configure Mercurial, the Mercurial-server extension, and TortoiseHg
- Place local files under version control to track their changes, display history, and revert changes
- Display detailed information about repositories, search through revisions, and customize printed command outputs
- Collaborate with others, diverge using clones or branches, merge and solve conflicts, and set up ad-hock or centralized servers
- Learn Agile practices such as collective ownership or continuous integration through simple SCM practices
- Set up a web interface to the repositories, find out at what revision a bug started, select which changes to commit, work with mutable changes (patches), and convert to and from Git or other VCS
- Set up hooks to mark a repository as deprecated (read-only), enforce a single-head policy, or to check a user's identity complies with a given policy
- Undo operations, ignore local files, keep local (or remote) changes forcibly during a merge, and display version control information in your prompt
A version control system provides a central repository to effectively coordinate and collaborate the work of a software development team. Mercurial is one of the most powerful and portable distributed version control systems currently available and is also fully free software. Most importantly, it provides a smooth transition for developers knowing CVS or Subversion's command set.
Instant Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to will help you in exploring the basics as well as some of Mercurial’s most advanced features, such as extensions, hooks, conflict resolution, and so on through a comprehensive set of recipes. It quickly takes you through the process of creating a simple centralized software configuration workflow and continuous integration practice. If you are a software developer already familiar to version control but new to the Mercurial open source distributed VCS, this book is a great place to start.
Instant Mercurial Distributed SCM Essentials How-to begins with taking you through the tool installation and configuration and the most standard version control tasks, either for working locally or with a team through a series of easy-to-perform practical recipes.
Furthermore, this book will help you understand several tasks related to configuration management such as branching, merging, or solving conflicts and advanced tool usage; how to set up a web interface, to find when a bug was introduced, to enforce rules, to work with patches, or to set up a bidirectional gateway to another VCS.
Using a practical format of easy-to-perform recipes, Instant Mercurial SCM Essentials How-to leverages the simplicity and power of Mercurial to help you be more efficient and productive.
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. This book has a simplified, recipe-based approach, which shows the essential features of Mercurial SCM for software configuration engineers/programmers using Mercurial or another version control system of a similar kind.
Who this book is for
Instant Mercurial SCM Essentials How-to is aimed at software developers already familiar with version control but new to the Mercurial open source DVCS, who want to master both the basics and some very advanced features of the tool. You are expected to be familiar at either working with the console in Windows, or the Unix command line in Linux or Mac OS X, as the examples are command-line based.