Mahara 1.2 E-Portfolios: Beginner's Guide
|Also available on:|
- Create, customize, and maintain an impressive personal digital portfolio with a simple point-and-click interface
- Set customized access to share your text files, images, and videos with your family, friends, and others
- Create online learning communities and social networks through groups, blogs, and forums
- A step-by-step approach that takes you through examples with ample screenshots and clear explanations
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 264 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : February 2010
ISBN : 1847199062
ISBN 13 : 9781847199065
Author(s) : Derrin Michael Kent, Glenys Gillian Bradbury, Margaret Anne Kent, Richard William Hand
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Other, Beginner's Guides, e-Learning, Open Source, Web Development
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: What Can Mahara Do for Me?
Chapter 2: Getting Started with Mahara
Chapter 3: Add Files and Blogs to Your Portfolio
Chapter 4: Views
Chapter 5: Working in Groups and Interacting with Friends
Chapter 6: Site Settings and Exporting Your Portfolio
Chapter 7: Institution Administrators, Staff Members, and Group Tutors
Appendix A: Mahara Implementation Pre-Planner
Appendix B: Installing Mahara
Appendix C: Pop Quiz Answers
The authors' previous experience of writing instructional text for technology shines through, with flowing informal writing that is easy to digest and a logical, stepped approach to introducing each of the key features.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
You will learn to:
- Create folders in Mahara – just like on your own computer – with an easy file search facility
- Upload multiple files – journals, reports, presentations, videos, and sound clips – easily and set permissions for your group to view, edit, and delete them
- Create a blog in Mahara and get connected to the rest of the world
- Make an impressive profile using Mahara profile fields and tailor your own profile view
- Create a new web page entirely from scratch and customize it to allow much more flexibility and control over who sees what and when
- Set an environment to receive public or private feedback on your pictures, videos, and articles
- Connect with other Mahara users and get social: discuss topics of common interest in forums and share views with each other
- Customize and administer your Mahara site to our own preferences using a number of configuration settings for easy administration
Mahara is a user-centred environment with a permissions framework that enables different views of an e-portfolio to be easily managed. These views helps you display your artefacts – text files, spreadsheets, images, and videos – in a way you choose and to the people you want. You can also create online communities and social networks through groups, blogs, and forums.
Being a novice, you will need a quick and easy implementation guide to set up your feature-rich digital portfolio.
This book is your step-by-step guide to building an impressive professional e-portfolio using Mahara. It covers the key features of Mahara that will help you set up your customized digital portfolio and display the artefacts in your preferred way allowing contribution from selected users only.
This book will introduce to the exciting features of Mahara framework and help you develop a feature-rich e-portfolio for yourself. You will see how easily you can create folders, upload multiple files like journals, project documents, pictures, and videos and share them with your friends. You will learn to set up views of these files, making these visible to your chosen friends only. And then, you will allow people to give their inputs.
You will learn to create blogs and forums and get connected to the rest of the world. Customization and administration of your Mahara site will become easy after you have gone through this book. Imagine how good you will feel when you will see your knowledge, success, and ideas going live and available to your chosen audiences for their inputs.
Develop a feature-rich electronic portfolio – a digital repository of journals, presentations, reports, images, and videos – easily and share it with your friends, family, students, project team, and others
This book will provide you with step-by-step instructions to get started with Mahara and create an impressive electronic portfolio. The book is packed with many useful examples and screenshots for easy and quick learning.
Who this book is for
Pick this book up if you want to get started with Mahara.
This book is for you if:
- You are a student/learner wanting to maintain online documentation of your projects and share it with a particular teacher/trainer for feedback
- You are a teacher wanting to set up an e-portfolio for your students in order to encourage and advance personalized and reflective learning
- You are a professional wanting to share your journals and project documents with your team by sharing your existing knowledge and creating new knowledge in communities of professional practice
- No previous experience of Mahara is required.