Magento 1.4 Theming Cookbook
|Also available on:|
- Create rich, fully featured themes in easy to follow steps
- Customize and localize your themes to make them sellable
- Step-by-step recipes to help you solve problems related to Magento theming
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 200 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : August 2011
ISBN : 1849514240
ISBN 13 : 9781849514248
Author(s) : Jose Argudo Blanco
Topics and Technologies : All Books, CMS and eCommerce, Cookbooks, Open Source, PHP
Table of ContentsPreface
Chapter 1: Theme Basics—Working with the Default Theme
Chapter 2: Working with Existing Themes
Chapter 3: Starting Our Own Theme—Basic Steps
Chapter 4: Continuing Our Theme—Other Necessary Pages
Chapter 5: Going Further—Making Our Theme Shine
Chapter 6: Building Simple Extensions
Chapter 7: Localization and Other Tips
Chapter 8: Selling Our Theme
Appendix: Quick Summary
- Chapter 1: Theme Basics—Working with the Default Theme
- Shutting down the cache before working with themes
- Theme inheritance in Magento
- Adding blocks
- Creating layouts
- Layout handles
- Customizing templates
- Chapter 2: Working with Existing Themes
- Installing a theme through Magento Connect
- Installing a theme manually
- Selecting the recently installed theme
- Enabling template path hints
- Simple modifications, changing a logo and header info
- Simple modifications, link to CMS pages from our theme
- Chapter 3: Starting Our Own Theme—Basic Steps
- Starting our theme; laying the foundation
- Adding content in the home page
- Adding breadcrumbs
- Enabling the search form
- Adding top links
- Adding the language selector
- Footer links
- Adding the mini cart
- Building our main menu
- Chapter 4: Continuing Our Theme—Other Necessary Pages
- Enhancing what we have up to now
- Setting the template for the catalog page
- Setting the template for other CMS pages
- Setting the template for the Sign In page
- Setting the template for the Shopping Cart page
- Modifying the product detail page
- Chapter 5: Going Further—Making Our Theme Shine
- Using Cufón to include any font we like in our theme
- SlideDeck content slider
- Nivo banner slider
- Magento Easy Lightbox
- Adding social media sharing to product page
- Adding featured products to the home page
- Chapter 6: Building Simple Extensions
- Installing the ModuleCreator extension
- Using the ModuleCreator extension
- Building a featured products block
- Modifying the featured products block to show the most sold products
- Chapter 7: Localization and Other Tips
- Localizing our theme
- Getting the current store
- How to create a multi-currency store
- How to create CMS pages
- Translating the topmenu
- Chapter 8: Selling Our Theme
- Packing our theme
- Nice features for our theme
- Where to sell our theme
- Where to go from here
- Appendix: Quick Summary
- Step 1—laying the foundation
- Step 2—small modifications that can be done in admin panel
- Step 3—small modifications that can be done in layout files
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Explore Magento theming, layouts, templates, inheritance, and all you need to work with Magento theming.
- Search, download, install, and modify existing themes, so you can start working with your Magento installation at once.
- Create your own theme from the ground up; add breadcrumbs, toplinks, a mini cart, a main menu, and all the items necessary to make a Magento theme.
- Use Cufon in your theme, create sliders, modify the lightbox, and add social media sharing icons.
- Create a simple module, a featured products module, and later modify it to create a most sold products module.
- Localize your themes and also make them multicurrency, and translate images and menus.
- Pack your theme and get ideas of where to sell it
Magento is the fastest growing PHP-based ecommerce solution. It is a professional, polished application that can be extended or customized with PHP code. Magento theming is a very interesting topic but it can be difficult to get the hang of.
Magento 1.4 Theming Cookbook is like a toolbox for building Magento themes. Thanks to its cookbook approach, the recipes found in this book can be applied in almost any Magento theme.
This book will help you to create a Magento theme using recipes in a step-by-step approach. Although you can dive into any individual recipe, the cookbook is organized in a way that will help beginners learn Magento theming by doing. More advanced users can refer to just the recipes that will be useful to them. You will learn how to add sliders, Cufon font replacements, social media, lightbox, and much more!
This book is written in a cookbook style. This means that you will find its contents divided into recipes, which can be used separately. Throughout the book you will follow detailed examples from start to finish. From a photoshop PSD to a Magento theme, you will do everything step by step, with easy to follow instructions. You already have a Magento theme which you need to modify? Just go to the recipe you need
Who this book is for
If you are a designer or programmer who wants to create excellent Magento themes, quickly and easily, this book is for you. No special knowledge of Magento or PHP is required, though some html and CSS experience will be helpful.