Liferay Portal 6 Enterprise Intranets
|Also available on:|
- Develop a professional Intranet using Liferay's practical functionality, usability, and technical innovation
- Enhance your Intranet using your innovation and Liferay Portal's out-of-the-box portlets
- Maximize your existing and future IT investments by optimizing your usage of Liferay Portal
- Clear, step-by-step instructions, practical examples, and straightforward explanations
Book DetailsLanguage : English
Paperback : 692 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
Release Date : May 2010
ISBN : 1849510385
ISBN 13 : 9781849510387
Author(s) : Jonas X. Yuan
Topics and Technologies : All Books, CMS and eCommerce, Content Management (CMS), Java, Open Source, Web Development
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introducing Liferay for your Intranet
Chapter 2: Setting Up a Home Page and Navigation Structure for the Intranet
Chapter 3: Bringing in Users
Chapter 4: Forums, Categorization, and Asset Publishing
Chapter 5: Wikis, Web Forms, and Polls
Chapter 6: Blogs, WYSIWYG Editors, and RSS
Chapter 7: Roll Out to Other Teams
Chapter 8: CMS and WCM
Chapter 9: Social Office, Hooks, and Custom Fields
Chapter 10: Search, WAP, CRM, Widgets, Reporting and Auditing
Chapter 11: Ongoing Admin Tasks
<a href="http://thinkinginsoftware.blogspot.com/2010/06/book-review-liferay-portal-6-enterprise.html">A good book to make the reader understand the basic concept upon which Liferay is built as well as those out of the box capabilities it provides</a><br>
<a href="http://vivekagarwal.wordpress.com/">The book has What’s Happening sections scattered throughout the content that give you a deeper insight into what you can achieve or what is happening behind the scenes</a>
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 1 submitted: last submission 17 Apr 2014
Errata type: Technical | Page number: 251
In discussing orbeon forms, the author refers to a sample provided by orbeon named "Wizard with PFC: sample of wizard with PFC". In parens he then declares that the PFC is "Powerbuilder Foundation Classes". This is completely wrong and misleading; PFC, in this context, is Orbeon's Page Flow Controller. It has absolutely nothing to do with Powerbuilder Foundation Classes.
What you will learn from this book
- Install and configure Liferay Portal
- Set up the navigation structure for the intranet
- Manage users, groups, and roles and enable staff to communicate using discussion forums
- Create Wikis, Web Forms, and Polls and manage Blogs and RSS
- Configure instant messaging server, mail server, mail portlet, and SMS text messenger portlet
- Administer communities, use community tools, set up virtual hosting, staging, and publishing for communities
- Handle federated search and OpenSearch and deploy search-based portlets
- Manage Admin portlet and Enterprise Admin portlet
- Integrate with Alfresco, LDAP, and SSO and apply SSO authentication for both portal and portlets
Liferay Portal is the world's leading open-source portal platform built on Java and Web 2.0 technologies. It was designed to not only simplify your work experience but cater to your preferences and needs. With this book in hand, you will be able to solve all your Intranet development-related queries. After all, a solution shouldn't just work—it should work for you.
This practical guide gives you hands-on experience on using Liferay Portal. It uses the latest in Java, J2EE, and Web 2.0 technologies to deliver solutions for enterprises across both public and private sectors. This book will help you get to grips with Liferay Portal, allowing you to deploy its flexibility in a number of different scenarios to meet your key business needs.
This book is a complete guide to building an intranet with Liferay—assessing your needs, installing the software, starting using it, deploying portlets, customizing it per your requirements, and training users. The book focuses on leveraging the Liferay framework by configuring the XML files, without changing the underlying Java code. Each chapter gives practical guidance on how to install, use configure, customize, implement, integrate, and enhance Liferay portal. There are many step-by-step examples for better understanding.
Learn how to implement a complete corporate intranet using the features of Liferay
This book is a practical guide with a very user-friendly approach. The author has taken a virtual enterprise as an example and has used the features of Liferay to build a corporate intranet for that enterprise.
Who this book is for
This book is for system administrators or experienced users (not necessarily programmers) who want to install and use Liferay in their teams or businesses without dealing with complex code. Prior knowledge of Liferay is not expected for this book.