Instant LESS CSS Preprocessor How-to [Instant]
|Print & eBook also available on:|
- Learn something new in an Instant! A short, fast, focused guide delivering immediate results.
- Use mixins, functions, and variables to dynamically auto-generate styles, based on minimal existing values
- Use the power of LESS to produce style sheets dynamically, or incorporate precompiled versions into your code
- Learn how to use existing mixin libraries, or to create your own that you can reuse in future projects
Book DetailsLanguage : English
eBook : 80 pages
Release Date : February 2013
ISBN : 178216376X
ISBN 13 : 9781782163763
Author(s) : Alex Libby
Topics and Technologies : All Books, Instant, Web Development, Open Source, Web Development
Table of ContentsPreface
Instant LESS CSS Preprocessor How-to
- Instant LESS CSS Preprocessor How-to
- Installing LESS (Must know)
- Precompiling LESS client side (Must know)
- Precompiling LESS server side (Must know)
- Compiling back to LESS from CSS (Should know)
- Autorefreshing styles using watchr (Must know)
- Using LESS variables (Must know)
- Using mixins in LESS (Must know)
- Parametric mixins in LESS (Must know)
- Pattern-matching in LESS (Must know)
- Importing files and escaping code in LESS (Must know)
- Creating colors with operators in LESS (Should know)
- Creating colors with functions (Should know)
- Grouping/nesting styles in LESS (Should know)
- Scoping in LESS (Should know)
- Creating Polaroid effects using LESS (Become an expert)
- Using LESS with other libraries (Become an expert)
- Using pre-built mixin libraries (Become an expert)
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
Errata- 4 submitted: last submission 27 Nov 2013
Errata Type: Code | Page No.: 10
The ID had been forgotten in the markup of step 3
<input type="submit" ..
<input id="submitfrm" type="submit" />
The missing ID explains why the button doesn't turn red if you follow the tutorial in Chapter 1.
Errata Type: Code | Page No.: 44-45
The image on page 44, bullet No. 3 should be as follows:
The image on page 45 in bullet No. 6 should be as follows:
Errata Type: Code | Page No: 37
In the "How to do it..." section, under the second numbered bullet point, the code example is:
It should be:
Errata Type: Code | Page No: 48
In the "How to do it..." section, under step 3, on the second line of code, it is:
It should be:
And on the 13th line, it is:
It should be:
Sorry, there are currently no downloads available for this title.
What you will learn from this book
- Install and use LESS into your site
- Produce dynamic style sheets, or precompiling and including the final articles into your site’s pages
- Use variables, functions, mixins, and operators in your LESS code
- Use LESS with other libraries, such as Modernizr
- Create, import or use existing pre-built mixin libraries in your projects
- Use existing mixin libraries, or create your own, that you can reuse in future projects
- Learn how to write more efficient CSS, using LESS
Instant LESS CSS Preprocessor How-To is a practical, hands-on guide that provides you with a number of clear step-by-step exercises to help you take advantage of the power of LESS, and give you a good grounding in writing and compiling CSS style sheets using the LESS Preprocessor language.
This book looks at how you can incorporate LESS into your web pages, and either produce style sheets dynamically, or pre-compile them before including the final article into your site’s pages.
You will also learn how you can use the power of mixins, functions, and variables to help produce style sheets, and reduce the amount of code you need to write in your style sheets. We will also take a look at how you can incorporate a more modular style to your development workflow, which will help with making style sheets more manageable and easier to update in the future. We will also take a look at how you can build up libraries of reusable code that you can incorporate into your future projects.
You will learn everything you need to know to start using LESS to help produce more efficient style sheets in your site’s pages, and adopt a more modular development workflow, which will make it easier to maintain your sites in the future.
Filled with practical, step-by-step instructions and clear explanations for the most important and useful tasks. Get the job done and learn as you go. A how-To book with practical recipes accompanied with rich screenshots for easy comprehension.This book takes the How-to series approach to help you learn most important tasks through recipes
Who this book is for
This book is ideal for those new to using CSS Preprocessors such as LESS, and who are looking to get a good grounding in how to use LESS. It’s assumed you will have some experience in using HTML and CSS already; it is likely you will be responsible for maintaining at least one website (the larger the better), and are keen to learn how you can use LESS to help make it easier to manage your CSS styles. Although this book does incorporate some additional code using Modernizr, it is not essential to have had any previous experience with Modernizr.