Learning Objective-C by Developing iPhone Games
|Also available on:|
- Get started with the Xcode development environment
- Dive deep into programming with Objective-C
- A practical and engaging tutorial to create vintage games such as Space Invaders and Galaga
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Environment – Installing and Working with Xcode
Chapter 2: Programming and Objective-C
Chapter 3: iPhone Game Development Basics – The Matching Game
Chapter 4: Drawing Pictures – Space Invaders
Chapter 5: The Game Engine – Space Invaders Part 2
Chapter 6: The Audio Engine – The Simon Memory Game
Chapter 7: User Interactivity – Mini Golf
Chapter 8: The Galaxy Game
Chapter 9: Releasing Your Game
Chapter 10: Conclusion
Download the code and support files for this book.
Please let us know if you have found any errors not listed on this list by completing our errata submission form. Our editors will check them and add them to this list. Thank you.
What you will learn from this book
- Understand the basics of Objective-C and develop code in the iOS language
- Set up multiple screens in iOS and make easy transitions from one screen to another
- Create a simple audio-based memory game using basic game logic
- Display a background image for your game and program your aliens to drop bombs
- Build a simple user interface using Xcode's interface builder
- Program your graphics to move using buttons, gestures, and multitouch interactivity
- Overcome common issues that developers run in to at one point or another
- Explore the Apple Store and iTunes Connect's submission process and prepare your app for distribution
The introduction of the Apple Store has empowered thousands, even millions of people to embrace software development. Using Objective-C and the Xcode IDE, you can produce awesome games and launch them on the Apple Store allowing you to make and sell games quickly and easily.
From learning the basics of Objective-C to deploying to the App Store, you'll use this book to learn about game development in a matter-of-fact, helpful manner. Whether you're new to game development, or just want to learn how to leverage Apple's own tools to expand your skill set, you'll quickly move from a beginner to an expert.
The book kicks off with the basics of game development, and you will take your first steps with using Xcode, the official Apple programming IDE, before moving on to the most important concepts involved in programming games using Objective-C. This book is a hands-on guide to developing the game of your dreams in no time for the Apple Store.
Written as a practical and engaging tutorial, this book guides you through the development of your own exciting, fully featured, games.
Who this book is for
If you are a beginner and an enthusiast who dreams about creating games and is in need of some additional inspiration and knowledge, then this book is for you. No programming experience is expected.